Pullets maturing at different rates?

MomKat

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Mobile, AL
I have six RIR pullets (16 weeks old) and one seems to be maturing faster than the others. I've always thought that she was a day or two older than the others - wing feathers developed sooner, etc. Now she suddenly (over the last few days!) has a bright red comb and wattles while the others combs are still pink, and their wattles are just developing. Is it possible that she developed faster, or might she be a late developing roo? She's not larger than the others or more aggressive, she's just more developed. And do RIRs lay this early?

Just like humans, chickens are individuals and it's entirely possible for one bird to mature faster or slower than the rest. I have four sisters; none of us "started" at the same age.
wink.png

I don't own the breed, but Henderson's Chicken Chart lists the RIRs as being moderately early to mature:

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Hah! Maybe it's a late roo
hu.gif
I started out with 4 RIR and they pretty much developed along the same timeline. One did start laying earlier than the others, though, by about 3 weeks. Mine started to lay at 22 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom