Pullets not roosting?

sparklez

In the Brooder
May 25, 2023
Hello, second time I've done chickens. I now have 10 pullets and one cockerel all about 12 weeks old, no other chickens. They will not roost at night. There is poop on the roosts and ive seen them up there during the day once or twice before they were allowed in the run. I Yesterday a put a little light bulb in there to try and make it easier for them to see, i also tried put meal worms on the roosts at bedtime, they all jumped up and to each roost but went back down after eating. I have tried placing a few on the roost but they jump down right away.
They are huddling (more like piling) in a corner and along the far wall-this is where the nesting box will be but i have it blocked off for now. They huddle together so tight to start the night they chirp like crazy and step on top of each other. They all fully feathered, i am in Western New York and lately it has been in the mid 60s-70s during the day and 50s at night (a few mid 40s) but we haven't had lows in the 30s for over a week.

what's going on with them? why arent they roosting? what can i do to help? Are they cold? is there something wrong with my roosts?
each roost is at least 12-14 inches away from the wall or the next roost
Thanks so much. I really would prefer them roosting for sanitary reasons and to avoid nesting box sleepers.

Attachments

• 20230423_141538.jpg
    20230423_141538.jpg
    417 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230515_141853.jpg
    20230515_141853.jpg
    636.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20230516_203818.jpg
    20230516_203818.jpg
    626.3 KB · Views: 26
Are you placing them on the roosts at night? Usually if you place them on at night they will stay there as it’s so dark they won’t want to move.
As they are still quite young and there’s no older chickens in there with them which they can copy, they most likely just simply don’t know that they’re supposed to roost.

Keep placing them on the roost once it’s dark each night, they might eventually get the hang of it within a few days or so.
If not, just wait a little bit, as they mature their instincts will likely kick in and realise they should be getting to the highest place possible when it’s dark.

Back
Top Bottom