Pullets not roosting?

Okay, another night of chicken silliness.

It's weird because more of the girls started out on roosts tonight because I blocked their access to the corner (I'm guessing here), but when I went back out after dark to check on them, some of the ones that had been roosting were on the floor.

After much petting and attempts to put a few on roosts I think 4 or 5 will stay, not sure. Lots of scratches on my arms from frightened pullets. Wondering if I need to get some Falconer's gear...Lol!

I shall persevere!
old.gif

When you pick them up, use both hands and clamp each hand firmly over one wing so that the wings are held tightly to the body. If you can prevent them from flapping, you can minimize struggling in general. Not sure if you were already doing that, but just in case... :)

When you pick them up, use both hands and clamp each hand firmly over one wing so that the wings are held tightly to the body. If you can prevent them from flapping, you can minimize struggling in general. Not sure if you were already doing that, but just in case...
smile.png
Ditto Dat!!^^^

If you keep them from flapping right off the get go, things stay much calmer.
Don't begin to release your hold until their feet are well settled onto the roost.
They might not stay, but you can't really force them to, just keep trying each night to get few up there.

When you pick them up, use both hands and clamp each hand firmly over one wing so that the wings are held tightly to the body. If you can prevent them from flapping, you can minimize struggling in general. Not sure if you were already doing that, but just in case...
smile.png

No, I wasn't. I was letting them rest on my arm. They about beat my face off with their wings. Lol! Plus, I've got scratches all over my arm from their claws.

Tonight I'll do that. I don't want to freak them out any more than they are already. We've blocked off the corner where they were bunching together and now they line up against the wall. More of them started out on roosts last night, but some are still jumping down. Little sillies.

Ditto Dat!!^^^

If you keep them from flapping right off the get go, things stay much calmer.
Don't begin to release your hold until their feet are well settled onto the roost.
They might not stay, but you can't really force them to, just keep trying each night to get few up there.

Right! I feel like an idiot for thinking they would be calmer if they didn't feel trapped. I think they were panicking more because they could flap their wings.

One other thought: what are you using for light when you attempt to get them on the perch? I have a head lamp with a red light which would be perfect for that... it might keep it dark enough that they wouldn't try to jump down. Persistence! Good luck.

Quote: Ehh.... live and learn! Now you know.

If they can't move their wings, and you don't let their feet get a hold of anything(but the roost) like your coat cuff, they pretty much give up and are happy when you put their feet down on the solid roost and slowly let go of their wings, quick light firm touch on the back...and hope they stay put.

One other thought: what are you using for light when you attempt to get them on the perch? I have a head lamp with a red light which would be perfect for that... it might keep it dark enough that they wouldn't try to jump down. Persistence! Good luck.

That's the other thing, I didn't want a light in there, so I'm crawling around in the dark getting them by feel. You can only imagine how messy that was.
roll.png

Thanks for the suggestion of the red lamp. I'll do that!

Back
Top Bottom