Pullets or cockerel

Here is a Pic of some juveniles that I had a couple years ago at around the same age. They were about 10 weeks old. The white chicken and the black chicken with the big red comb and wattles turned out to be roosters. Notice the others around them have no red coloring yet in their combs and wattles and they are the same age. View attachment 2779219
Hi. What breed are your black chickens. As my two black ones looked like yours when they were younger but think mine might be cross breeds.

Two of them have started crowing. Pic 3 and 4.
That certainly confirms that they are male!

The eggs were sold as
Buff orpington
Cuckoo maran
Light sussex
White leghorn
Araucana
Welsummer.

That may be the breed that laid the eggs (but the father could be some other breed), or the seller may have mixed up which eggs they sent to you, or the seller may have outright lied.

You do not have any Buff Orpingtons. The two with red/brown shades are too dark to be buff, and they both have black markings that a Buff Orpington would not.

You do not have any Cuckoo Marans. The one with black and white stripes has the right color of feathers, but the wrong kind of comb. Marans have single combs. I think your bird has a rose comb, although it might be a pea comb. Either way, it is NOT a single comb.

You do not have any Light Sussex. None of the feather colors is even close.

You do not have a White Leghorn, because Leghorns have white earlobes while your white chicken has red earlobes. I think his body shape is a bit wrong, too.

You do not have any Araucanas, but you might have one or more Easter Eggers (mixed breeds that sort-of resemble Araucanas.) Easter Eggers and Araucana-crosses usually do not have single combs. That could fit the first photo (red & black, comb somewhat small), the third photo (dark colored bird, odd-looking comb, a few feathers on the legs), and maybe the last photo (black & white barred bird).

You do not have any Welsummers. Welsummers have single combs, and the first chicken does not. The other five are very much the wrong color.

(Single comb is what your white chicken has. Your black one and red one also have single combs. The other three do not.)

This is my white leghorn snow white. Notice the white earlobes
IMG_2170.jpg

Thanks for all The input from everyone. Gonna wait and see who lays eggs and take it from there. Just read hens crow aswell sometimes. Confusing.

Crowing cockerels (young males) are very common.
Crowing hens (adult females) are fairly rare. Crowing pullets (young females) are even more rare.

Given that yours are only 11 weeks old, if it crows, you can safely assume it's a male.

Back
Top Bottom