Pullets or pullet and roo??

ThePeepingHouse

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Ontario
This is my first time raising chickens. We picked up what we assumed were five pullets from TSC, but since they were a few days old we've been thinking one of our red sex-links might be a little roo. Not only are we debating gender, but now I'm confused on which is which! I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me, because soon we'll have to find the roo a new home (if it is one!)

Pumpkin and Ginger about three days old (Boneless the leghorn is on the far right)

About three weeks old

One month old

welcome-byc.gif

Those are both red sex link females. Males are white with a little red on the wings, females are like this--red with white tips and tails.

That's what I thought because all the research I did said that sex links are bred to hatch different colours so they can be sexed at a day old, but based on the huge difference in wing size my girlfriend was convinced Pumpkin was male.

I'm so excited Pumpkin didn't end up re-homed already! I chose one red sex-link and one black sex-link (or New Hampshire x, that's still up for debate :p) and I'm already quite attached to my girls. Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom