Pullets or Roos? Please help(lots of pics) more pics

rubysmom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
Oregon
We are first time chicken mamas. My daughter and I are trying to find out if we have any roosters in this bunch .Hoping for no roos because we have a backyard flock and we are sooooo attached to them all!
Our chicks are about 4-5 weeks old. We have a production red, a BR, light brahma, and a SLW and a GLW.
What do you chicken experts think? Can you tell this early?
Totally appreciate any help you can give. We just love this site.
Christmas08Bballchicks036.jpg

IMG]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn216/rubysmomphotos/chickens/Christmas08Bballchicks038.jpg[/IMG]
Christmas08Bballchicks035.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks026.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks023.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks024.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks040.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks027.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks038.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still new at figuring this out, but here's my guess. I think they are all pullets. The only one I would wonder about it the first, but it could just be the angle of the picture, the comb looks awful big.

I was wondering about my chicks, I to am hoping for pullets, that's what I ordered anyhow, and they look just like your pictures. I guess we can both keep our fingers crossed!

I agree they all look like girls but the first one is questionable. However, as someone else said it might be the angle of the photo and I think by 4-5 weeks you would see red on the comb of a roo by now. But hey I'm new to this too!! Good luck-- I have 16 ranging in age from 3-5 weeks and I think I have 9 roos!!!

Thanks everybody for all your input. We were kind of thinking along the same lines. Here are a couple more pictures of the first chick BR, but I'm not sure they're much better. She's kind of confusing because she's the same age as all the other chicks but much smaller? Maybe the runt? Could she be sick? She seems pretty normal, but I'm not sure what would be abnormal?
Have a great day everybody and thanks again for all the help.

Christmas08Bballchicks037.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks029.jpg

Christmas08Bballchicks031.jpg

I think you have a barred rock pullet there...she has black on her legs where the males are only yellow. My favorite chicken so far is my barred rock I am calling Sweetie Pie because she is so friendly and wants to be held and kissed!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom