1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pullets pecking each other

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by llobrow, Sep 8, 2011.

1. llobrow

llobrow New Egg

Aug 8, 2011
    I have 15 chickens, 4 weeks old, they have recently started pecking one another. Should I worry? What should I do? Do I need to change the food? They are on chick starter

2. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    Occasional pecking is normal. They are just starting to establish the pecking order. I would watch and make sure that one isn't being singled out and getting injured. Also watch for any injuries, on open sore often leads to the chick being pecked to death by the others. Other than that, just sit back and watch who is going to end up on top of the hill.

3. Darklingstorm

Darklingstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    Durant, Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

4. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:yup, ditto on this. It's even worse when you try to introduce new chickens to established ones... [​IMG]

5. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

How much space do you have in your brooder? If they get too cramped for room they will start pecking.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by