Pullets showing signs of first egg laying, but no egg

Webley

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 2, 2013
South Kona Hawaii
So I have searched and searched the internet and the forums for an answer, and I feel that I am probably just impatiently waiting for my girls first eggs… and I am sure that they will lay in their own time… but just incase… Two of my pullets are showing signs of laying. For example, their combs are now vibrant and red, their pelvis has widened, they do the "squat", and one of them has taken to making nests and sitting in them all morning. My concern is that these behaviors and physical signs of readiness have been going on consistently for a month… with no egg! The pullets are 6 months old going on 7 months, and show no signs of distress or odd behavior. So I guess my question is, Is there something wrong and they're just really good at hiding it? Or am I just being impatient?
Oh, and the breeds of the pullets are Bared Rock, and Light Brahma if that helps someone out there give me a little more insight.

Last edited:
How long have they been squatting and playing with nests?

If the pelvic bones are more than 2 fingers, they probably are already laying.
Do you free range, might they be laying out there?

They do some free ranging, however they are only out in our small yard, and either my husband or I are observing them.
The one, Buster, (my light Brahma) will walk back to the coop and make a nest or two on the coop floor instead of in one of the nesting boxes. I was picking her up and putting her in a box and sprinkling treats near the entrance of the box and generally trying to encourage her to nest in the box... to no avail. Maybe I have inadvertently halted her laying by messing with her?
I'll have to go back out and check the width of the pelvis.
The two pullets that are showing all signs of egg laying have been showing all the signs for a month… no egg. They aren't acting distressed. I am assuming that even though chickens are notoriously good at hiding ailments, that after a month if there was something wrong Id be seeing some signs.
So, maybe my girls are just goofy, and will produce an egg in their own sweet time.

Well, pullets can drive you nuts!!
Put some fake eggs/golf balls in nest can help.
If they are investigating the nests, eventually they should lay in them if they feel safe and comfy in them.

Back
Top Bottom