Pullets sleeping in the nest box

I had no idea that it was a bad thing for them to sleep in the boxes.
hu.gif
My girls are doing that too!

I don't know how big of a problem it is, I just don't want them to poop on their eggs when they start laying. That's why I asked
smile.png

Maybe once they start laying they'll know not to sleep and poop where they lay their eggs and it won't be a problem. I'm gonna be safe and try to keep them out of the nesting boxes for now though.

I've got non-laying pullets (14 weeks) in with some layers, and I read in a book that you can put a curtain up across the nests. Apparently that will discourage sleeping there, but the layers will still know they can duck under the curtain for a little privacy.
wink.png
I haven't tried it, but I will let you know how it works, because the pullets are all sleeping in the boxes while the big girls are perching.

I have a catawaba style coop and had the same problem with my pullets. I blocked them off from the nests until they started to lay- then they began sleeping in the nests again. To the person asking why it matters where they sleep- they poop - alot- where they sleep- then lay their eggs in there in the morning before you've even had a chance to go change it = dirty eggs
sad.png

I then went out after dark and gently pushed them back out of the nests and onto the roosts- I did this for a couple of weeks and they finally realized the nests were for laying not for sleeping. They were good for about 9 months.
Fast forward to their first molt- they began doing it again, and past the molt it's about 50% /50%- half the time they sleep on the roost bar-
the other half in the nest
he.gif

I gave up- they won -and I have to clean my eggs occasionally. I noticed the English version of the ark comes with an accordian style gate to close off the nests- the problem I have with that is I am not always up before the girls - so I didn't want them not to have access to the nests when they have to lay.
Good luck with your girls
smile.png

Never had this problem in the same ark-style coop, but I didn't put them out until the fourth of July last year. Maybe early in the year they need more body heat to keep warm. I wonder what would happen if you put some fake eggs in the nest box?
I remember early one one pullet would go upstairs while the others would be downstairs being chilly but afraid to climb the ramp. I had a tarp over the ark the first few days. They learned quickly.

Quote:
I totally agree! I've also got external nest boxes with a hinged roof to collect eggs. Currently, I have the front/entrance to the nest boxes blocked with a plywood plank (they can't even peek into their future nesting area). At around 17-18 weeks (or when I see an egg laying somewhere)...that's when the barricade comes off the entrance!
D.gif

I never realized this could be a problem. My girls move into their new coop today, and now I am contemplating on blocking off the cute nestboxes
sad.png

I have 3 hens two sleep in the nest boxes and the "boss" sleeps on the roost.
roll.png
I don't worry about it. I clean poo out of the boxes everymorning and I get clean eggs.

Back
Top Bottom