Pullets spending most of the day in the coop

ForFlocksSake

Songster
Jun 2, 2023
North Florida/Panhandle
This weekend we built a new coop and put our 11week old pullets outdoors full time. We currently have 5 other laying pullets and have been integrating the 4 new ones for weeks, But up until this weekend we had been bringing the younger ones into the garage at night because the old coop was just too small for everyone. This new coop is spacious and perfect and everyone seems happy with the new house. Only problem is the 4 younger ones spend nearly the ENTIRE day inside. I get it, it's spacious and safe and the big girls don't really harass them much In there. Yesterday I got worried they weren't eating or drinking enough so I put some dishes of water and feed at the bottom of the entrance ramp. They do run out to grab something to eat or drink but usually run back in. They're probably tired of being chased and pecked by the older girls, but also im wondering if this is normal behavior? I really don't want to put any feed or water inside the coop and im hoping keeping it outside will help encourage them to come out more, but do I need to worry about them starving or getting dehydrated?

Me again. At what point should I be concerned about a pullet who doesn’t come out at all. I never see her out. Of course I’m not there the whole day but I go out periodically and also check our cameras and never see her out. There is food and water easily accessible right at the bottom of the entry ramp to the coop. Do I need to put something inside for her? I REALLY don’t want to put food in there but I also don’t want her to starve herself to death. She looks fine for now. Not sure what to do.

Maybe try taking her out along with the other young ones. You may have to get multiple feeding pans to ensure everyone is eating without being bullied. That way they can ease their way into the pecking order and not starve to death. We had to do this with some of our chickens because if we didn't, the more dominant ones would run them off.

Maybe try taking her out along with the other young ones. You may have to get multiple feeding pans to ensure everyone is eating without being bullied. That way they can ease their way into the pecking order and not starve to death. We had to do this with some of our chickens because if we didn't, the more dominant ones would run them off.
I have 3 different feeding areas set up far enough away from eachother. The others are able to run out and grab a bite, then run back. They also run out for table scraps when I visit. This one chicken just won’t come. I’m not even sure I could catch her to bring her out if I wanted to.

I have 3 different feeding areas set up far enough away from eachother. The others are able to run out and grab a bite, then run back. They also run out for table scraps when I visit. This one chicken just won’t come. I’m not even sure I could catch her to bring her out if I wanted to.
I would at least try to get her out. At least she knows there's food and water; maybe she comes down in the day for a little bit. Just keep trying. 😊

Something I have had to do to catch a flighty chicken is use a large fish landing net if it is available. We prefer not to use it because we worry about damaging the bird, but if you must catch an uncatchable bird, it can help. We prefer to catch them on the roost in the evening when they first settle down for the night. Our birds seem easier to catch and handle then.

Something I have had to do to catch a flighty chicken is use a large fish landing net if it is available. We prefer not to use it because we worry about damaging the bird, but if you must catch an uncatchable bird, it can help. We prefer to catch them on the roost in the evening when they first settle down for the night. Our birds seem easier to catch and handle then.
I keep a landing net next to my run for that reason and in case someone gets out. Thankfully never had to use it!

The past few weeks have been a major change and now all the younger pullets spend the day outside somewhat mingling with the older girls. They still have clear division but they all seem to accept eachother now.

Back
Top Bottom