Pullets wait for spring?

@Dhkoenig What kind of chickens are they? It’s going to vary with breeds. Production breeds will lay all winter, so they won’t wait to start as will some others. I’ve had none that lay in the winter, and any late maturing pullets have all waited for early spring, as in Feb.

@Dhkoenig What kind of chickens are they? It’s going to vary with breeds. Production breeds will lay all winter, so they won’t wait to start as will some others. I’ve had none that lay in the winter, and any late maturing pullets have all waited for early spring, as in Feb.
We've got a Green Queen, a Black Copper Maran, a Dark Brahma, a Speckled Sussex, a Cookies N Cream and a Cream Legbar

I have found that if they reach laying age in October or November, they often do start laying, even if it’s for a short period and then they quit for the winter. Sometimes I will even get one starting in December. And sometimes they do not quit for winter, but just keep on laying. So yeah, it’s very individual with each bird and or breed.

Also, I have found that many don’t wait for spring. Late January is when my egg production begins to recover from the winter slow down. It increases until spring, so there are definitely some (older and pullets) that wait longer and don’t start up as quickly.

Back
Top Bottom