Pullets, when can they go out in winter?

Every situation is different. There is also a difference in breeds. A 5 week Russian orloff can handle what an adult serama or cemani can.

I've had 3 and 4 week olds get lost in the woods at night in the 50s and return in the morning. I'm quite sure anything below 20F would be quite hard on anything under 5 weeks.

A large group of chicks huddled out of the wind can handle extremes. A lone chick or two is a different story.

Last edited:
LanceTN, the information that it was below freezing at night here was included in the tread before you commented the first time. It was unhelpful for me to comment saying that I wasn't giving your comment much weight. I do not wish to be an aggitator. My actual hope, which was expressed beyond badly, was to raise awareness.

If ChickenCanoe hadn't already given me great advice and I knew a bit less about what I was doing following your example of 'what worked for you' could have been so inappropriate to my situation that it could have lead to tragedy. I think it would be helpful if you read the threads you contribute to a bit more carefully.

This site is great because people, like yourself, are kind enough to reply to the questions of those of us who need help. I appreciate that you are willing to take the time to reply, and would urge you as you continue being awesome, to go for quality over quantity, only replying to the threads you have read carefully.

Thank you again. Also, the picture of your chickens is really cute, they look a lot like my girls.

It's been below freezing many nights since my chicks have gone in the coop.

What matters more importantly is how many there are. I have 19, they have no problem keeping themselves warm.

Not to mention I hadn't been keeping them under a heat lamp after week one. They were in warmer weather and a smaller confines that stayed warmer but they were getting acclimated to the cooler weather.

One solution does not fit all and the usual advice I see on here is that chicks need to stay in a brooder under a lamp until week six or eight depending on who's giving it.

And that's utter nonsense.

Getting your birds a bit cold encourages growth of feathers and acclimates them to the weather.

I'm glad I found this thread. We have 12 chicks in the brooder in our unheated garage right now. They are 4 weeks at this point- 5 weeks this coming Friday. Our weather has taken a drastic cold turn lately with lows in the single digits and highs in the teens and 20's. I haven't been able to keep the brooder any warmer than 70 degrees at the most and hovering around 64-65 most of the time for the last few days. They seem to be happy, but I've been worried they would be too cold. Most everything I've read recommends much warmer temperatures than I've been able to maintain. Seeing as how the 10 day forecast doesn't show much improvement, I'm assuming winter has arrived and the bitter cold temps are here to stay. At what point is it safe to move them to the coop? We can supply additional heat in the coop if necessary. We've got Speckled Sussex, Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. First time chicken owner here....

I think it's good they are in those temps now. As Lance suggested, exposure to colder temps helps them feather out faster and better prepares them for the rigors to come.
High protein right now will help with both body and feather growth. Perhaps a bit of fish to make sure they're getting a complete complement of amino acids.
As long as they're scattered and not hovering near the heat, They're perfect. Also makes sure they're not cowering away from the heat as well.

I'd give them another two weeks and keep lowering the brooder temp watching their reaction.

Back
Top Bottom