Pullets with hurt leg

MalloryChick912

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
Marysville,Wa
When I let my girls out this morning everybody was fine I put their feet out and it was business as usual. When I got home I started dinner and looked out my window and my light Brahma was in the corner sitting down which is really unusual. I went outside to check on her and she didn't even run for me when I went to pick her up her left leg just dangled. It looks like it's dislocated. I checked the fencing and nothing got in and nothing fell on her. She can put no weight on it and uses her wing to balance herself. Of course our vet is closed and I don't know what to do for her. She's not eating and not drinking any water. I have her in a small broader in hopes that maybe resting will heal her leg but I fear that's not going to be the case.

Can anybody help with any suggestions. She's my favorite girl and she still very young. Ultimately I just don't want her to suffer.

Are you taking her to a vet this morning?
I'm waiting for a call back. My coworkers wife is a vet and she said more than likely we are going to have to put her down. She said she's seen very little success in treatment-for the cost to try and save her we could buy 20 new chicks. My stomach is on the floor. We got duel purpose chickens, but had no intention on having to cull any of my girls at 4 months. My husband has read multiple places to keep her in a small brooder and she will heal in time.

Positive note she was eating this morning.

Good sign that she is eating.
It's all up to you as to what you do with her.
Keeping her confined so she can try to heal and not be able to hurt herself more is a good idea.
I personally would not want to see/let a pet live in pain.

Good sign that she is eating.
It's all up to you as to what you do with her.
Keeping her confined so she can try to heal and not be able to hurt herself more is a good idea.
I personally would not want to see/let a pet live in pain.
That's where I'm at. My husband knows she's my favorite girl and is pretty much throwing a Hail Mary to save her. I can't imagine we will let her go on if we don't see improvement by tomorrow evening--That even feels like a long time to keep someone suffering.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom