Pullets...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    How old are Pullets when they start laying eggs? Some of mine are 7 months old and not laying yet.

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the breed. I had some lay at 18 weeks and have some that are 23 week old and still have not layed.

3. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Generally around 30+/- wks...or when they're darned good'n ready to lay. [​IMG] They certainly lay at their own pace & not when we want them to lay. [​IMG] I have some that are 18wks old & some that are 23wks old and no egg yet. [​IMG] It certainly depends on the breed too as well as what feed they consume & their living conditions, etc.

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

what kind are they?
    and they turned laying age in the cold winter,, so they might not start till spring when it warms up, and they get more light. but usually they start between 5 and 7 months,, some ( doesnt matter breed) start early, some late.

5. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    thank you so much..I was getting worried that something might be wrong. I was told that they are about 5 months old when they start laying by the owner of the feed store(and he has a farm too)

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they free ranged? If so look around the yard for eggs.

7. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Some are a mixture of white leghorn and Silver laced Wyandotte, and some are a mix of EE and Silver laced Wyandotte. They are free range, but we have a lot of tall bushes, tho0rn bushes mainly. Very difficult for a person to get through. It's very thick. But I have noticed that my young pullets do hang around the coop..not ever very far from it.

8. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

Leghorns are usually an early starting breed while EE tend not to lay as much. Have you noticed any of the egg signs? Squatting, Red combs and wattles, nesting behavior?

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:No, haven't seen those signs yet...although they have done the "clucking" sound that the mature hens do when looking for the right nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by