Pulleys stopped laying?

Catharinejo

Chirping
Jun 28, 2019
NE Kansas, USA
Some of our pullets started laying about 3 weeks ago. We had started collecting 3 eggs most days, some days 2. One of our bantams who has been laying almost every day went broody so we decided to let her sit on a few. Since then she has obviously stopped laying but we are finding either 1 or 0 eggs since Sunday. I know chicken math can be tricky but that doesn’t seem quite right to me!
The chickens are acting normal and we’ve checked and not found any hidden eggs in the run or evidence of broken eggs. So my questions are...
Is it normal for the number of eggs laid to drop when they are new layers?
It has been pretty rainy and cloudy the last week- could that affect laying?
Anything we should be concerned about or checking on?

Production will be low this time of year. That's normal. It's also normal for new layers to lay here and there, and not be steady yet. You will see your best production early in the spring under increasing daylight. Until than production can be sporadic.

How many birds to you have...with ages in months, please?
How big is your run, in feet by feet?
Unless your run is fairly small and bare, they can be pretty sneaky about hiding eggs.
Might have to confine them to the coop to know for sure.
Butt, you can check pelvic points to see if your older birds are still laying,
they may be molting and thus not laying.

I'll assume you live in the northern hemisphere,
so decreasing daylight as @oldhenlikesdogs has pointed out could be a factor but....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-8-31_9-4-35.png

I’m in Kansas USA. We have one cockerel and 11 standard sized pullets that are 22 weeks, 3 bantams that are probably 23-24 weeks, and 2 pullets that are 14-18 weeks (I was just told a month they hatched). Our run is not as big as it should be at I think 8x12 feet but the chickens seem happy so far and we let them free range when we can.

How many birds to you have...with ages in months, please?
How big is your run, in feet by feet?
Unless your run is fairly small and bare, they can be pretty sneaky about hiding eggs.
Might have to confine them to the coop to know for sure.
Butt, you can check pelvic points to see if your older birds are still laying,
they may be molting and thus not laying.

I'll assume you live in the northern hemisphere,
so decreasing daylight as @oldhenlikesdogs has pointed out could be a factor but....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1893844
I will add that, thanks!

I’m in Kansas USA. We have one cockerel and 11 standard sized pullets that are 22 weeks, 3 bantams that are probably 23-24 weeks, and 2 pullets that are 14-18 weeks (I was just told a month they hatched). Our run is not as big as it should be at I think 8x12 feet but the chickens seem happy so far and we let them free range when we can.
With those ages the 'math' of number of eggs in your first post sounds right on.
New layers aren't always consistent, some birds only lay a few times a week, not all the pullets are laying.... and the broody may be scaring them away from nests?
....and like @Blooie sez: They're not pez dispensers :gig

Things will pick up and soon you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with.
Here's some tips on how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Thank you! We just wanted to make sure they were ok since we’re newbies. :)
With those ages the 'math' of number of eggs in your first post sounds right on.
New layers aren't always consistent, some birds only lay a few times a week, not all the pullets are laying.... and the broody may be scaring them away from nests?
....and like @Blooie sez: They're not pez dispensers :gig

Things will pick up and soon you'll have more eggs than you know what to do with.
Here's some tips on how to tell....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Back
Top Bottom