Pulling my hair out over the thermometers! I've calibrated, but inside, the reading are like night a

melanie

Songster
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
Pulling my hair out over the thermometers! I've calibrated, but readings like night and day!

Bought two standard incubator thermometors. Both had identical readings in the store. One calibrated at 32 degrees in ice water. The other at 34 degrees. I also calibrated a milk thermometer, and a very high quality digital livestock thermometer. The digital has a very long, thin metal probe. The incubator thermometer has been resting on top of the eggs for about 1/2 hour, and it's reading 95 or 96. The other one is reading 95. I don't know if it takes a while for them to register, or this is really the temp. The digital thermo. is poking thru tape (covering the vent hole) so the probe is not touching anything, and is about egg height. It's reading 103.5! I am about to scream. The embryos are alive/good. How can there be this much difference in temperature when I've calibrated everything?

I know the milk thermo. is accurate, as I calibrated it too. I've already rigged it up for wet bulb. What a pain! I guess I can take off the wet end and use it for yet another reading.

Last edited:
Things seem to be evening out a bit. The digital therm. that was so high at first is around 101.5. and the other two incubator thermo's. are rising to about 98. Does it just takes a while for them all to adjust?

Last edited:
OH crap Melanie, get a grip Yeah, it's me the grumpy old guy you said such nice things about
lau.gif

You like the person who has two watches, they never know EXACTLY what time is . (in this case, thermometers)

I wouldn't worry about the two that read within 1 degree of each other...The other is a bit confusing, but, can I suggest without sounding "miserable, " don't panic. The eggs seem to be progressing fine. Can you re-check calibration without throwing everything off?

Are you using a still air, it's important to know that so we can give advice. I think I remember that you are, so --- I thought the temperature was supposed to be 101.5 at the top of the egg.
A little bit of creative thinking here, but if the temp is supposed to be 101.5 at the top of the egg, that means that at about 1 inch lower the temp would be 99.5 - The point being that in a still air there can be that much difference in 1 inch. Soooo, is the probe on your digital EACTLY at the same height as your thermometers? It would also be important that the probe be in the same space as the thermometers because if its closer or further from the heating element, it would give different readings. Just trying to give you some things to try

Heck, before I could even post, you fixed your problem?

Last edited:
Oh Crap is right! If you only knew. LOL Ok, I am sincerely sorry for my rude outburst at your response the other day. it was uncalled for, and I was wrong. I GREATLY appreciate your knowledge. Ok, I'm going to chill now. LOL

By the way, I'm blunt, and sometimes lack tack, so I'm not offended. I just jumped the gun the other day. Again, I am sorry. Thank you for taking time to help. :)

I'm going to enjoy a beer and go feed horses now. HAHA.

Yes, it's a still air, and the readings are at "egg height". I've got a fan incubator ordered. Should be here Tues. The probe is sticking down to the same distance as top of egg.

Well I WAS a bit blunt. What I had intended in that post was to get you to LOOK at the instructions, not just read, but understand. I went about in the wrong way. I call myself the resident curmudgeon, so you never know what's going to come flying out of my mouth.
You should see what I DON'T post.

Well it seems the high dollar digital thermometer, is psychotic. It calibrated perfectly, but it's all over the place, from 104-110. Fortunately, ol' reliable, the milk thermometer was the one I started with. The other new, cheap thermo works in line with it, too. Now, I need to figure what to use for a wet bulb. I guess since I have two accurate ones, I'll use the milk thermometer.

Disclaimer: I have no experience at hatching eggs.

Now, having said that I was watching The Edwardian Farm and their incubator was something like this.

It was heated by either a candle or an alcohol lamp. I saw no sign of any thermometer, and they got a good hatch. That, and the fact that hens hatch eggs without a thermometer leads me to believe that temperatures aren't as critical as some may believe. As long as it isn't to hot or cold you're probably okay. Admittedly, there is probably an 'ideal temperature', but there's even some disagreement over what that is.

The above comments are not necessarily those of Backyard Chickens, it's parent company, management, membership or anyone in their right mind.
D.gif

Last edited:
Haha. That's the truth. Years ago I hatched a peacock in a bun warmer with just an oven thermo like you buy at the grocery store, and a bowl of water. Then, I got an incubator a year or two ago. Some hatched, some were shrink wrapped and some were sticky. Back then, I didn't know about the still air vs fan air temp. I kept it at 99.5 in the still, with lots of water in the chamber. Live and learn. Thanks to the people on this forum, this may be successful! :)

Back
Top Bottom