Pulling straw out of nest boxes and now no eggs!

Volcanic Egger

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 5, 2013
Volcano, CA
I have a flock of 16 hens and two roosters. Recently some of the hens started pulling all the straw out of the nest boxes even though it was put in there fresh, and this also coincided with the fact that most have stopped laying. Crazy chickens or something else? They all eat well and are active.

thankx

Thanks Aart. They were laying regularly and then suddenly stopped and this behavior began. Can't get pics till the weekend. I guess this weekend I'll scrub out the boxes and try new bedding.

My birds stopped laying abruptly also, I found my light timer had failed me, possibly due to operator error.

My critters refuse to let me put straw in the nest boxes, I have a couple hens that find the greatest fun in pulling out the straw one strand at a time and throwing it over their backs onto the floor.

I was forced to go to wood chips to stop this. It was EE that were pulling the straw out, drove me nuts, I could not stop it, they removed every last strand!

In my case it's a lavender orpington who does exactly that. They have been fine with straw since they started laying back in October. But last weekend I cleaned the boxes and put in fresh straw and it made no difference to them. They pull it all out and won't lay eggs. I don't use a light or timer. The hens are not quite 9 months old and I was getting 6 eggs per day from these pullets.

Last edited:
Thanks Aart. They were laying regularly and then suddenly stopped and this behavior began. Can't get pics till the weekend. I guess this weekend I'll scrub out the boxes and try new bedding.

Quote:
They don't like change....some of them really don't like it!

If you just cleaned you probably don't need to clean again....I'd just keep putting the same straw back in and hope she settles down.

In my case it's a lavender orpington who does exactly that. They have been fine with straw since they started laying back in October. But last weekend I cleaned the boxes and put in fresh straw and it made no difference to them. They pull it all out and won't lay eggs. I don't use a light or timer. The hens are not quite 9 months old and I was getting 6 eggs per day from these pullets.

I am willing to bet if you put a light in the coop you will start getting eggs again, of course they will be laid in non-bedding nest boxes,,,
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom