Pulling the trigger

Checking again
ETA
with temps in the box being about 71 degrees, I nudged them toward the heater.
They did not run back out, so I guess they are liking it.

Hope all is well this morning.

Once they learn where their heat is they'll go in and out as required, but sometimes you have to show them a few times.

we still have 6 chicks, so all is well.
after the storm (that brought not so much rain but crazy gusty winds) the temperatures dropped considerably after being in the mid 80s on Thursday.
the chicks are lively and eating (and all want to eat out of the same hole in the feeder - go figure.)
SO far so good, day one of chickendom has begone.

we still have 6 chicks, so all is well.
after the storm (that brought not so much rain but crazy gusty winds) the temperatures dropped considerably after being in the mid 80s on Thursday.
the chicks are lively and eating (and all want to eat out of the same hole in the feeder - go figure.)
SO far so good, day one of chickendom has begone.

Enjoy them!

I just figured out that the feeder base accepts mason jars.
That will make things so much easier! and I can mix the current feed with new feed gradually to change over, too. just scoop it into the jars and put a lid on it. and the jars are easily sanitized! wohoo!

Chickies are huddling under the shop light, so I moved the brooder plate closer to the light.

Chicks have real feathers on their little wings and seem to be getting tail feathers. I need to hurry up and fix the cover for the box, and I need to let some fresh air in the shed. it's 65 degrees in there! after I was so worried they'd cook.
And it seems I need to find a different section to journal my adventures with the feathered folk.

Chicks have real feathers on their little wings and seem to be getting tail feathers. I need to hurry up and fix the cover for the box, and I need to let some fresh air in the shed. it's 65 degrees in there! after I was so worried they'd cook.
And it seems I need to find a different section to journal my adventures with the feathered folk.

Lots of people make a thread for their flock in the stories and pictures section of the forum.

The chicks got to see sunlight today.
I put them in the grass part of the play hut
and promptly regretted it.
My two Wheeny Terriers tried every which way to get into the enclosure. I had to put them in the house before they could wreck the little run.
Well, everybody wants to eat chickens. I left them out just long enough to clean their brooder but ever since the dogs make a B-line for the shed. I will need to put a fence around the fence......or an electric fence.

BTW the chicks have had some grit in their diet. I started a couple of days ago, just to be on the safe side.
And Gosh, they are getting so big! 🤗

Back
Top Bottom