PUMPKIN CARVING Contest- Halloween Hatch-a-Long 2016 w/ Hosts, Mike, Sally, & BantyChooks

2 inches sounds A LOT better...lol. The only upside is the chickens have more to eat with the thicker walls.
I'm definitely going to grow my own pumpkins next year so I know what I've got.
I haven't tried surface carving. That'll be a new one for me.

Yeah, I always mess up at surface carving, the wyandotte was incredibly difficult and I started over on it twice.:th yeah, I am pretty sure I would have just given up if I had a four inch thick pumpkin!

Yeah, I had a 3 to 4 inch thick pumpkins too. It just about did me in when I was carving! My chickies were happy though.
My pumpkin carving is just a cute little rooster so I can't imagine carving something as detailed as y'all did with a 4 inch thick pumpkin!

i dont think i have a chance with all youlls amazing carvings. youll did great
All the pumpkins were amazing, including yours. Your Mary and baby Jesus is a beautiful carving!
Everyone has an equal chance and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
The judges will pick the pumpkins they feel are the best choices for what they are looking for and I don't envy the difficult job they have.
bow.gif

But this doesn't mean that the other pumpkins aren't equally as wonderful. Everyone should be proud of their pumpkins, regardless of whether they place or not.
I think the idea is to have fun with it and have fun participating.
woot.gif

Quote: Your Wyandotte looked very intricate and difficult to do. If I hadn't been doing the vicious face on my pumpkin...I probably would have quit too...lol. I always make a mean, scary face for my pumpkins so it was straightforward.

But with such thickness of the walls, one could do some amazing things as far as surface carvings. I ended up on a You Tube video of Martha Stewart with Ray Villafane on the show who does those amazing carvings. It shows a couple of the ones he's done. Wow.

0.jpg

Yeah, I had a 3 to 4 inch thick pumpkins too. It just about did me in when I was carving! My chickies were happy though.
My pumpkin carving is just a cute little rooster so I can't imagine carving something as detailed as y'all did with a 4 inch thick pumpkin!
I'm not up on doing pies from scratch...but maybe there are pumpkin pies meant more for pies (which would explain the super thick walls) and maybe there are pumpkins that are meant for carving? It seems to me the seeds I had from years ago were "Halloween" pumpkins.
Great for the birds...but not so much for us carving them.
gig.gif

I'm not up on doing pies from scratch...but maybe there are pumpkin pies meant more for pies (which would explain the super thick walls) and maybe there are pumpkins that are meant for carving? It seems to me the seeds I had from years ago were "Halloween" pumpkins.
Great for the birds...but not so much for us carving them. :gig

I've never made a pumpkin pie from scratch either, but that would make since if they were meant for pies!
It was funny because I didn't know the pumpkin was going to be that thick until I started cutting into it. :th

All the pumpkins were amazing, including yours. Your Mary and baby Jesus is a beautiful carving! Everyone has an equal chance and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The judges will pick the pumpkins they feel are the best choices for what they are looking for and I don't envy the difficult job they have. :bow But this doesn't mean that the other pumpkins aren't equally as wonderful. Everyone should be proud of their pumpkins, regardless of whether they place or not. I think the idea is to have fun with it and have fun participating. :woot Your Wyandotte looked very intricate and difficult to do. If I hadn't been doing the vicious face on my pumpkin...I probably would have quit too...lol. I always make a mean, scary face for my pumpkins so it was straightforward. But with such thickness of the walls, one could do some amazing things as far as surface carvings. I ended up on a You Tube video of Martha Stewart with Ray Villafane on the show who does those amazing carvings. It shows a couple of the ones he's done. Wow.
Wow, interesting video! And I agree, the point is to have fun, and placing is just an added bonus.

PUMPKIN CARVING Contest CLICK HERE

winners.jpg

First Place: @orpingcrazy​

Prize: Dozen Beautiful Hatching Eggs Donated by @donrae

Second Place: @sgt chick​

Prize: $25.00 Gift Certificate to BYC Store! @sumi

Third Place: @Gwynevere​

Prize: 2017 BYC Calendar! @sumi

Congratulations to the Winners!​

Back
Top Bottom