Pumpkin Hulsey Color Genetics?

Just to revive this, I spotted this online and was wondering what thoughts the genetics gurus here have?

I am not sure if they are talking about the Pumpkin Hulsey coloration when they mention Pumpkin and Canary, but I've seen Canary being used to describe the yellow/white version of Pumpkin. Would this suggest that Pumpkin is birchen based? Or that some strains of pumpkin are birchen based? The hens just don't look birchen to me in any of the pictures. I couldn't find any pictures of the Figgy Pudding color that was mentioned.

I have news. I worked on the suspected mutation, which I call "Dusky", for the last few years and I found out that it is an incomplete dominant columbian like restrictor or henny coloring factor. And also a recessive eumelanin diluter (black to moderate chocolate brown). My experiments are on silver birds with little autosomal red, but I suspect that the mutation also affects the pheomelanin.
I get among other colors henny colored silver wheaten cockerels on e+ base. I won't bore you with the other findings but I think that this mutation is majorly involved in the pumpkin hulsey colors.

Well shank color is affected. In 2 doses the shanks get white or yellow depending on the skin color. In 1 dose you can already see the paler shank color on e+ animals. In birchen based animals less so. The chickdown of the e+ is a shaggy chipmunk but different coloration. Central stripe for instance. Must confess I should pay more attention to the chick downs ;)

Well shank color is affected. In 2 doses the shanks get white or yellow depending on the skin color. In 1 dose you can already see the paler shank color on e+ animals. In birchen based animals less so. The chickdown of the e+ is a shaggy chipmunk but different coloration. Central stripe for instance. Must confess I should pay more attention to the chick downs ;)
Then we have different ways to get the same male coloration. I will try to put pictures of what I figured out so far.

Any and all information about this, even if it's over my head, would be greatly appreciated. I have been playing around with the color for a while in my Cubalayas. The initial cross to get it in the flock was with wheaten/pumpkin hens that looked like wheatens streaked with white. Those were put under a BB Red (Wheaten) Cubalaya rooster.

From this crossing, I've had a few cockrels with the Pumpkin coloring and pullets that look like their mother.

Any and all information about this, even if it's over my head, would be greatly appreciated. I have been playing around with the color for a while in my Cubalayas. The initial cross to get it in the flock was with wheaten/pumpkin hens that looked like wheatens streaked with white. Those were put under a BB Red (Wheaten) Cubalaya rooster.

From this crossing, I've had a few cockrels with the Pumpkin coloring and pullets that look like their mother.
Pictures?

Back
Top Bottom