pumpkin hulsey?

Chickmano

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Today my 8-year-old daughter was given a sick little bird. It was in a bin and being overrun and trampled by the other chicks. Not moving at all. So, this nice man told my daughter, who was very worried, that she could have it if she wanted to try to save it. Of course she wants to see if she can get it well and raise it with our other chickens. It is the smallest thing I have ever seen and is supposed to be a pumpkin hulsey. Can anyone tell me about this breed? I'll post a picture in a minute.

The new little pumpkin hulsey. So tiny, and I'm worried because she/he doesn't seem to be able to walk correctly. Seems only to be able to scoot backwards. But she/he does seem to be perking up a little bit. Will take water and food (a little boiled egg) from my finger. And is pooping. Any suggestions?

If it is a Pumpkin Hulsey.
Pumpkin is the color and Hulsey is the original breeder. There a type of American Gamefowl Rooster can be very territorial and tend to not like other roosters around....

Chris

Could be a Hulsey but part of me just wants to say "Don't be surprised if it turns out to be something else". Pumpkin is the color, Hulsey(name came from the original breeder as many of the game strains) is the strain, and the breed is American gamefowl. Excellent birds, you can find info regarding the American gamefowl in the breed section, on the "Show off your games" thread, and there are a few threads going on for the pumpkin hulseys you could probably find.

-Daniel

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. We don't really mind if it isn't a pumpkin hulsey. My daughter only wanted it because it was sick. For now I'm most concerned with getting it healthy, but I was curious about the breed. We're kind of new to chickens and know nothing about game fowl. Thanks again... any thoughts on this scooting backward issue? Maybe I should post under another heading.

RIP little Pumpkin Pie. We tried all we could do, but it just wasn't meant to be. Poor baby.

im not sure if thats goin to be a pumkin husley or not , the beak looks kind of funny may just be the picture ,i could post a few pics of some older pumpkin colored chicks , they are spanish gamefowl , but look almost the same if you want a pic to compare to let me know

Thanks for all the information. I really wish this little baby had survived. It would have been fun to watch and see what it became. I guess it was just too far gone when we got it. Sad.

Back
Top Bottom