1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puncture wound please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peachesbabychick, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

My Sugar Plum has a puncture wound in the side of her neck, There is a hole about a centimeter wide! Please help me! She is 8 weeks old. We sprayed it with disinfectent spray, and she appears to be eating and drinking normally, and she is also trying to preen. There was quite a bit of dried blood so I know it is deep. I separated her from her 2 leghorn friends and she is in a crate facing the other pen ( the leghorn pen )

Is there anything else I should do? I am so worried about her, she looks fine now, but they can go downhill so fast. Will she be okay?

Please help

2. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

3. Peachesbabychick

Anyone? I REALLY need some help!

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

I'd do antibiotic ointment... Bluekote...

Keep her quiet for a few days, bring her in where its warm for a few days if she looks a bit peaked...

5. Peachesbabychick

Thanks, we live out of town, so I won't be able to get some of that till morning. I am currently using Vetricyn a disinfectent spray. But I will get some Blue Kote tomorrow. She is very alert, and eating and drinking well. She is not bleeding anymore either. She will just have a few quiet days in the garage until she is better healed.

Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by