Puncture wound

nparks

Chirping
Jul 29, 2016
Chicken was attacked by something today and has a puncture wound on her breast and a small wound on her back/shoulder. I am new at raising chickens and would like to get some advice on how to clean this wound and help it heal.

Vetericyn wound spray, betadine, or hibiclens (chlorhexidene) are all good to use to disinfect a deep wound. Apply a plian antibiotic ointment, such as bacitracin or neosporin twice a day. Keep away from flies while it heals, and try to find how the predator got in to the chicken. If it happen out of the coop and run, you may want to keep them locked up until you find out what happened. Hopefully, her wound will heal without a problem.

Thank you for the advice. I cleaned out the wounds with a little bit of saline then applied vetericyn and Neosporin. She wasn't eating or drinking so I cooked up and egg which she seemed to love and used a syringe to give her some water that I added vitamins and electrolytes to.
I will be keeping them in the run for a while.

Interesting read. She isn't eating much at all. I may have to give this a try. :(

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom