Puppy may be poisoned!!! HELP PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cjeanean, Dec 21, 2008.

  1. cjeanean

    cjeanean Can't Decide

    Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My brother's puppy ate some D-Con rat/mouse poison, not very much but she is a small pup only about 10lbs. The vet is closed, he has no where to take her. What can be given to help this pup??? She ate it sometime this morning. I've been reading on vitamin K, and I'm wondering if they sell VitaminK at wal mart for ppl if it's something that can be given to pups and what the dosage is. She's about 10wks old right now. Thanks!!!

    ETA: they said it looks like 1/4 to 1/3 of the tray of poison is gone, so that's how much the pup would have eaten.
     
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  2. Nikki28

    Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

    745
    0
    139
    Dec 15, 2008
    She ate it this morning? as in hours and hours ago? There are no emergency clinics near him? The puppy would need iv fluids and vitamin K among other things and soon after swallowing the poison if she really did swallow it and is only ten pounds she needs to get some sort of medical care now. When did she ingest it?
     
  3. Cackel

    Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

    161
    0
    119
    Nov 17, 2008
    Burn some toast and scrape off the black burned part and feed it to the puppy ,This is suppose to help ,even can help in children,He should start throwing up after that. Good luck
     
  4. cjeanean

    cjeanean Can't Decide

    Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    they live in the middle of nowhere, their vet doesn't even have an office, she only does house calls. It would have been early this morning, like 8am, possibly earlier than that since the dog was running loose in the bedroom overnight last night....
     
  5. friendlyearth

    friendlyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

    183
    1
    136
    May 16, 2008
    near Olympia, wa
    North Shore Animal League America and PROSAR International Animal Poison Center have teamed up to educate pet owners -- and veterinarians -- about what to do when pets ingest toxic substances or chemicals.

    The Animal Poison Hotline (APH) sponsored by NSAL America and PROSAR is the nation's only private 24/7 call center staffed by veterinary and toxicology professionals. The toll-free number is 888-232-8870.
     
  6. Nikki28

    Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

    745
    0
    139
    Dec 15, 2008
    It's supposed to act as charcoal weve had plenty of dead dogs brought in from farmers trying that....I would have to say it doesnt work. The most important thing is when it was swallowed.
     
  7. Chicken Woman

    Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

    2,465
    14
    181
    Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Get some warm water about 2 cups and disolve 1/4 cup salt. Use a turkey baster or whatever you have and force the dog to drink all the salt water.

    Be ready as she will throw up !!! Do as soon as possible !!! This is what vet did to ours and she is OK.
     
  8. Nikki28

    Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

    745
    0
    139
    Dec 15, 2008
    This stuff always seems to happen on the weekend. You have 2 hours (over doing it) before the kidneys start to get affected by the D-con. Hopefully she didnt really ingest it or only a small amount. Most of the literature on dealing with poison is only soon after the dog eats it. I guess just get her to drink alot and see what you can do tomorrow about finding a vet on a Sunday. I'm guessing it would take quite a drive for him. Poor guy. I wish him luck.
     
  9. Nikki28

    Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

    745
    0
    139
    Dec 15, 2008
    She swallowed it 16 hours ago...there is nothing to throw up.
     
  10. redhen

    redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

    35,112
    128
    458
    May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    yeah..if it was this morning..its already been absorbed...now..you have to wait for side affects...kidney failure...etc...its to bad..poor pup!...this is the reason i dont use mouse poison anymore...i am so afraid that either my cats/dogs will eat a poisioned mouse..or get into the poison itself...how is she now?...[​IMG]..
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by