puppy training advice needed..

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
We have a 10 week old Golden doodle who thinks it's funny to go outside to go potty then not want to come back in. She comes to us in the house and knows she needs to come to us outside but refuses. When she is ready she comes in. Frustrating.
Should we bring her out on the leash and work with her coming to us?
Any advice would be great.

It's a pain in the ass, but keep her on the leash. I guess she's hit the age where she realises she doesn't necessarily have to obey! Don't give a command that you can't enforce, and she'll get over it.

ETA It might not be stubbornness as much as having too many distractions. Not sure whether you're already doing this, but most commands need re-teaching outside once they understand them in a more quiet setting. Our Bloodhound had no interest in trailing when we first got her, because there were too many things outside to smell and see. Once she'd got used to having outside time, she was just fine and is now a trailing fool!

Last edited:
When I had this issue, I began using a whistle. When I'd whistle and my dog would come running, I'd give a very small food treat. THen, I weaned off the food treats once he was 100% consistent, and just gave plenty of positive reinforcement instead. Now and then, I take the whistle out as a little reminder...and my dogs will come running from 10 acres away, thinking I've got food! Works wonders, because they're naturally curious (at least mine were) about the whistle in the first place. THeir curiosity is rewarded with a treat! What's not to love about THAT!?

Quote:
This is good advice and the basics for most obedience training. Keep the dog on a leash and work on come form short lengths. Increase with longer lead until the dog consistently returns, then try without leash. Using treats as a reward is great and you will be able to wean them off the treats. I have 5 dogs all trained this way and they all come when called.

yup.. keep her on a leash....... dont play!!!! and start a command like "go potty".. after she pottys THEN make a big deal about it and be happy and play... maybe have her favorite toy in your back pocket...

believe me,, the "potty" command is great if you ever travel!!! i can get my poodle to potty almost anywhere on command

Quote:
Don't you just love it. "go potty go potty go potty go potty go potty YES you went potty Yeah!!!!!" and people look at you like you are nuts. you can always tell who the dog people are and are not.

Does she only get to out to 'potty'? If every time she comes to you, does she have to go back in the house? She is a puppy and needs romp time. She probably has come to the conclusion that if she comes, it the end of any fun.

Be prepared at times to call her, praise her, and then let her go play again. When you really don't have time to 'fool around' keep her leashed.

My corgi loves to play with a stick. I hold it and she chases and jumps for it. We play for about a minute before going inside. She can't get to me fast enough after she potties to get to play 'stick.'

10 weeks is nothing. keep working with the "come" command from increasingly longer distances. a long lightweight lead will help.
in four months you'll be amazed at how smart your dog is.

We have been making her come to us in the house so she can get used to it. We are probably going to resort to giving her a small treat when she comes when called inside.
She is taken out many times during the day to play. So it's not like she only gets out to go potty and then has to come back in and the fun is over. She loves to play in the snow and I think that is what is getting her in trouble.
big_smile.png
Ten at night is not the time to be playing in the snow.
he.gif

I will continue to overly praise her when she does as asked.
Is she is outside and runs off and I have to chase her is there any need/way to punish her? I want to make sure she understands not to run but I don't want her to feel like she is in trouble either when I get a hold of hold of her.
idunno.gif

No, punishing her once you catch her will make it worse.

As aggravating as it is, punishing them teaches them NOT to come to you.

She's just a baby, she'll be fine
smile.png
Retrievers and Poodles are both very trainable breeds, I doubt you'll have a problem when she's more mature.

Back
Top Bottom