Purchasing laying hens

GaryDon681

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2019
Decatur, Texas
I am new to the chicken business. Just completed remodeling an old coop where I live . I have done research on the internet & think I am interested in Golden Comets. Anyone out there experienced with this chicken? If responses are positive does anyone know where I can buy some. I live in Decatur, Texas. I appreciate your insights....

T
:welcome It’s just another name for a Sex Link. They lay like crazy, but a lot of us find they die young. I think we all recommend them though.
Search the hatcheries, or look on Craigslist. They can be produced from various types of pairs. Typically a RIR rooster over various hens.
Thank you for your input. Being a novice at this, not sure what a RIR is?

Hi! :frow Welcome to BYC! I don't have any Golden comets or sex links, but I have Rhode Island Reds, two of them. They are good layers, and healthy birds. But, here's my two cents --- you need Buff Orpingtons, or any Orpingtons. :D Well, we are all different, but that's my favorite. My avatar is my matriarch BO. Isn't she a beauty?

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, as has been said above by BullChick, Sexlinks are great layers for a year or two and then die. Rhode Island Reds are a bit better in longevity. As ValerieJ mentioned, you need Orps...:lol: Buff Orpingtons or Black Australorps...they are fabulous layers and stay healthy long into later years. Mine laid into their sixth year. One lived to 9+ years old. Wonderful breeds! You might wait till spring and check out the feed stores or local breeders for chicks.

Good luck and welcome to our roost!

Welcome to BYC! You’ll learn a ton of things about all types of birds on here and make a lot of friends too! I just learned about my comets from your thread...we love pictures so when you get them in “the brooder” make sure you post them! And the acronyms are just a short way to talk about breed of chickens...you’ll catch on fast! A great way to learn is to scroll down through some threads! Welcome to BYC from all of us and good luck finding your first chickens!:)

I am new to the chicken business. Just completed remodeling an old coop where I live . I have done research on the internet & think I am interested in Golden Comets. Anyone out there experienced with this chicken? If responses are positive does anyone know where I can buy some. I live in Decatur, Texas. I appreciate your insights....
Welcome to BYC. Golden sex link chicks can be purchased from Ideal hatchery in your home state of Texas.
https://www.idealpoultry.com/product/1327/0
I've never owned Golden sex links. However I've owned Black sex links and Red sex links. As a matter of fact I ordered them from Ideal hatchery. Both breeds are superb egg layers. They tend to slack off laying eggs right around two years old. However several of them, particularly the Black sex links continued laying really well for 4-5 more years. Black sex links are one of my top favorites and I'll be purchasing a few of them next spring.

Back
Top Bottom