Purchasing quail chicks - Do they really survive the shipment??

Have a friend that orders 300 bobwhite chicks every year, at dayold he raises about 250+ to full grown.

Now alot depend on how long they are in shipment. Crazy thing about the USPS I ship peafowl to CA. they got them in two days, shipped to Indiana It took 3 days and I am in Ohio??? I am talking express too.

If I was to order quail chicks I would pay for express shipping.

Quail are relatively easy to hatch. I bought some from mamawolf. I had 25 hatch and all 25 are doing great! She's an awesome seller and a very very nice person.

I think there are several members that sell eggs. That would be your best bet.

Actually, I've experienced pretty good survivability with day-old chicks sent to me through the post office. Best when they are shipped when temperatures are favorable. Success also depends on proper timing and the health and condition of the chicks when they are shipped.

I think timing plays a large part in survival. I managed a farm store for 2 years and ordered 4,000 to 5,000 chick annually. Of this amount we lost about 25 in transit. Temperature and length of time in transit also play a large role.
wink.png

Last edited:
I wouldn't order chicks threw the mail. No way, but I would order eggs to be incubated.
Also who would order chicks, you could end up with all roos. I just wouldn't
Me personally would like them to pick up their eggs and young adults (no chicks).
I would want them to know what they are getting and with eggs, everyone knows its pot luck.
It would be better to buy an incubator and order some eggs.
Or go to the persons place and see how healthy the birds you are getting really are.
I have no problem showing anyone my set up and you got to think that there are some weirdos out there. But I have to say all the lovely people on here would be upfront if you arrived on their doorstep.

P.S. would you send your baby threw the mail? And what would the chances of a newly born making it?

Last edited:
Quail eggs do surprisingly well through the mail. I believe it is near impossible to have all the chicks survive shipping because they're so small, and require food/water right away.

If mailed the same speed you would adults and you watch the temps you should have a good survival rate. If they ship them the same as chicken chicks that can take several days though you probably won't have many live. Quail can't survive without food after they hatch like chickens can so irregardless of age you'd have to ship them so they arrive the next day. Quail eggs do survive better than chicken eggs when shipped. I haven't gotten less than 70% on shipped quail eggs except a batch of broken button eggs and I still had 2 survive when half a dozen were smashed against each other in transit. If you have a bator and you don't just want a pair or 2 you might as well hatch them instead of getting chicks. Otherwise if I have to overnight them I'd buy adults instead to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom