Pure BCM or mixed chicks? Black combs

I can't tell yet. Given the size of those combs, they could be males or females, depending on what size the comb is going to be at maturity. (Females that have large combs, like Leghorns, can have combs that big when they are chicks of that age. Males of many other breeds can have combs that big when they are chicks of that age.)
Thank you!! I always tell myself I’ll play the waiting game…. Until about 4 weeks in 🙈😂

What is the colour of their skin?

They don't look like pure bred BC Marans as their chicks would look like little penguins:

Maransküken17Aug2011 027.jpg

Just an update on these two, about 4.5 weeks old now. Their combs are still black and just curious if anyone thinks roo or pullet at this stage? They have really long tail feathers and feathered in pretty evenly and quick but one is definitely more dominant and I’ve see it pick on its sibling once before. I know the only way for sure is to wait for a crow or an egg, still curious though 👀
Did they have any Ayam Cemanis in their flock, did they? They're starting to look like those a lot... In areas where there is a lot of feathering, move the feathers back and take a good look at their skin. Is it black there too? If so, I would strongly say they had a black skinned chicken breed in there. (Most well known breeds like that are the Ayam Cemani and the Silkie.)

Did they have any Ayam Cemanis in their flock, did they? They're starting to look like those a lot... In areas where there is a lot of feathering, move the feathers back and take a good look at their skin. Is it black there too? If so, I would strongly say they had a black skinned chicken breed in there. (Most well known breeds like that are the Ayam Cemani and the Silkie.)
I don’t believe they had either the Ayam Cemani or Silkies. I checked their skin and it appears that’s its grey? I’ll include a picture. I also believe they may leaning towards cockerels, their combs have gotten big, but not as big as I’ve seen other BCMs with at this point. And with their combs being black no obvious red. Is it possible they may be fibros?

Attachments

• IMG_7070.jpeg
    IMG_7070.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7074.jpeg
    IMG_7074.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 9
I don’t believe they had either the Ayam Cemani or Silkies. I checked their skin and it appears that’s its grey? I’ll include a picture. I also believe they may leaning towards cockerels, their combs have gotten big, but not as big as I’ve seen other BCMs with at this point. And with their combs being black no obvious red. Is it possible they may be fibros?
Really? Because the more they grow, the more I see of a black skinned breed. They should have some pale-ness somewhere, not all black like that. This last picture, look at the comb. On the side, does it have a hidden row? I've gotten that on a bird or two, but wasn't sure where it came from or why they had it.

Really? Because the more they grow, the more I see of a black skinned breed. They should have some pale-ness somewhere, not all black like that. This last picture, look at the comb. On the side, does it have a hidden row? I've gotten that on a bird or two, but wasn't sure where it came from or why they had it.
I double checked best I could this morning as best I could and I don’t see another row. I’ll post again as they get bigger. It’s been a fun mystery! Their feathering on their legs looks like it’s getting a little thicker too

Attachments

• IMG_7084.jpeg
    IMG_7084.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7082.jpeg
    IMG_7082.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 6
Going on 6 weeks today. No change really, combs and wattles are still black but bigger than what I would think for a pullet.They both look identical so I’m still leaning towards both cockerels for now but I’ll update again in another week!

Attachments

• IMG_7228.jpeg
    IMG_7228.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom