Pure Silkie

Vanval

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
Me again😊
I was just sold a "pure Bantam Silkie" 11 days old. I noticed that he/she has pinkish orangy skin rather than black. The bredder os convinced its a pure breed, having both parents.
What do you think?
20210513_080352.jpg
20210513_080356.jpg

I’m not a genetics expert but I have looked into this before. The breeder might have leakage in the parentage or the chick could be a paint.

If somewhere in this chicks family tree there isn’t a silkie then there’s a chance of the parents passing on a pink skin gene. Because they still carry it in their genes. So the breeder can have two pure silkies but if at some point a silkie in the family line was breed to a pink skinsd chicken and those chicks were breed back to the parents then they pass on the pink skin gene. Paint silkies can have pink skin or pink patches on their skin. So your chick may be a paint silkie.

I’m not a genetics expert but I have looked into this before. The breeder might have leakage in the parentage or the chick could be a paint.

If somewhere in this chicks family tree there isn’t a silkie then there’s a chance of the parents passing on a pink skin gene. Because they still carry it in their genes. So the breeder can have two pure silkies but if at some point a silkie in the family line was breed to a pink skinsd chicken and those chicks were breed back to the parents then they pass on the pink skin gene. Paint silkies can have pink skin or pink patches on their skin. So your chick may be a paint silkie.
Interesting, makes sense. I even think (hard to tell) that the head is black skin dut the rest pink. The ears look black too. We'll see the end result in a few weeks 😊🤞

The feather color looks like it’s a buff silkie. And it has the feather type and comb, so far, of a silkie. My best guess is the bloodlines father back are a little muddled. Either way a super cute chick.

Back
Top Bottom