Purina chick starter ok?

NO.You need to get some gamebird starter.They need higher protein.26%-28%.They won't do well on the medicated feed.
They have medicated turkey starter that has a higher protein content,but the gamebird will work too.Turkey starter can be hard to find sometimes.

Last edited:
yup i use reg med gamebird starter for my turkey poults,
not medicated pheasant starter which is super high in cocci meds
or
like the others said med turkey startena.

we've also tried med flock raiser as well at one time or another but the poults never seem to do as well on it..

I feed everything I hatch the purina medicated chick starter. Chicks, keets, quail and poults. I have never had a problem. I don't feed the super high protien because I am not trying to grow them fast. I do boil eggs from time to time and give some gamebird startena when they are out of the brooder at 6-8 weeks If all you have is the chick starter then use it and don't panic, it will be fine. I know several people who only use chick starter and then chicken laying pellets when they get 5-6 months.

Thanks...thats what they are eating because thats all I had when I got them...they like it!! I'm heading to TSC this evening..will check on some gamebird starter..

Use gamebird starter as soon as you get a chance to switch, i use it for my wild eastern (poults) which are not to far off from heritage breed turkey poults size wise and need wise..

follow the complete diet plan below if your growning pens allow you to:
Game Bird Startena
00ae.png
Product

A 30%-protein ration designed to promote maximum early development for game birds from 1 to 6 weeks.
•Rapid growth through strong bone and muscle development.
•Suitable for all species of game birds.
•Complete Feed - easy to use crumble feed form

Game Bird Flight Conditioner
A 19 %-protein ration to stimulate growth and feathering in birds 6 to 16 weeks of age.
•High protein, low energy- promotes muscle and feather development while preventing excess fat.
•Balanced levels of amino acids and salt-provide maximum protection against cannibalism.
•Complete feed– crumble or pellet feed form.
•Contains Lactobacillus Acidophilus to help intestinal upsets

Game Bird Breeder Layena
00ae.png
Product

A 20%-protein breeder diet formulated for fertility, egg production, and chick vigor. Feed from one month prior to start of egg production until birds is out of egg production.
•Balanced levels of amino acids, energy vitamins and minerals keeps breeders in top condition for egg production and hatchability.
•Calcium fortified for strong egg shells.
•Complete feed - no mixing required.

Game Bird Maintenance
A 12.5%- protein, holding ration for maintaining breeders in the non-production season and mature game birds that are not to be used for shooting preserve.
•Balanced levels of amino acids and salt-provide maximum protection against cannibalism.
•Complete feed- crumble or pellet feed form

also we give extra treats along with the diets above
crack corn, black oil sunflower seed, sorghum seed/milo, yogurt or 911 type powders
and extra oyster shell and grit with free choice.

Last edited:
Other than the protein needs for turkeys, one of the reasons chick starter or chick lay feed (later in life) is not recomended for turkeys is they have a different calcium phosphrus need and vitamin (vitamin D3 for example) and mineral needs than chickens. Turkey feed normaly has 4 times more calicium than chick food.

The information on feeding turkeys has changed since I first started raising turkeys but ALBC has a good manual at the bottom. http://www.albc-usa.org/EducationalResources/turkeys.html#manual

It's hard sometimes to find Turkey or Game Bird starter. I finally found some a two hour round trip drive. If there's no demand for it, the feed stores won't carry it and the feed stores where I'm at cater to the chicken people and they all claim chick starter is fine for turkeys. I don't agree but, that's their line.

I have the same problem finding water fowl food. I just picked some up this weekend a hour away. Normaly my feed store will get me anything I want because we spend more money in there store than anyone in town. But for some feed there supplers just dont carry it. We have alot of game bird breeders here do to near by hunting lodge. Sometimes I have to beat them to the store on delivery days because they will buy all they have. We finaly are getting them to order more bags.

Back
Top Bottom