Purina Mills Coop- easy and FUN too!

notsoangrybirds

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 3, 2012
Barrington, IL

I built this coop with the general plans put out by Purina Mills and I have to say, it turned out pretty good. I found the plans to be a great over view for building it- you'll definitely have to add a little artistic license here and there- but that was the fun part in figuring it out. It took about a weekend to do and I'd say about $600.00 total for ALL material (incl. hardware, stain, etc.)- the $$$ add up!! I'm working on a fully enclosed run now which is not so fun as I'm dealing with an unlevel grade in the terrain. Also finding out that hardware cloth (why do they call it cloth?) is not cheap. I figure our break even point with the money we save on eggs will be about six years!! Not factoring in the cholesterol lowering meds. I've attached a photo of the finished coop and if anyone's interested can share more [photos or info]. Did I mention I'm new to the chicken scene as well as the "blog" thing.

Thanks. I was blown away upon hearing how a weasel got into the coop through the vent at the top- NEVER would have thought of that. No weasels around me (at least not the four legged kind). But I still don't like the idea of a vulnerable area. I assume you covered the openings from the interior with hardware cloth/wire. Adding this little project to my list of things to do this weekend.

We had no idea we had weasels either. Yes, cover the vents. It was a tough lesson for me to learn. We have baby chicks now and they are living in the coop full time at the moment...until my whole run is covered with the cloth as well. Not taking any more chances.

Good Looking coop.
clap.gif
Mine is still In-Progress.
roll.png
End of April bought $700 in supplies...End of May bought another $600 in supplies. (I only get paid once per month.) DH and construction friend are doing it so at least I know it will be sturdy and last for many years. Some of my ideas and desires are being incorporated but some things DH just goes with what he want to do.
smack.gif
Example: I tried to design a separate coop/tractor for the bantums and DH changed it to a room off the main coop.I was about ready to go cut the poop doors myself (the ones to clean out under the roost) but the construction friend took his tools to a job so I didn't get the chance. Somehow, I still have to get a fence built...they are free ranging right now. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have them going into the neighbor's yard too.

CG

CGinJCMO- I love your profile picture. I have a barred rock that would love to sit on my shoulder all day. She's my sweetest hen.

CGinJCMO- I love your profile picture. I have a barred rock that would love to sit on my shoulder all day. She's my sweetest hen.
Thanks. She wanted to be up there so bad. I gave DH my phone and had him take a photo. I think she is my friendliest one too. I've had her on my shoulder before (and my head
big_smile.png
) but no camera available. I got a couple of cockerels and and younger barred rock pullet that I need to work on taming some more. I open the pop door and great each pullet as she comes out but the bantams, two younger barred rocks, and the two EE roos all are so afraid of me that they refuse to come out while I'm standing there. What am I suppose to do??? Let the girls out, shut the door again and then go into the coop and corner the birds? I have only had the EEs for less than a month but I had the Barred Rocks all their lives (minus a couple of days at the feed store).

CG

Having them from chicks makes such a huge difference, of course. We have two barred and two white rocks. But still, that one barred rock is more friendly than the rest.
I think you should start greeting the weary ones with lots of treats!! :) Good luck.

Took your advice and covered the vents- fortunately I hadn't yet put the birds in- so I didn't have to deal with a coop full of poop. Sorry to hear about losing your first flock. Aside from starting over (which is a pain). I didn't realize how one can get so attached to them. When I began this venture, I had a "they're just chickens" mentality- which is definitely not the case now. The Grinch's heart is no longer two sizes too small.

Good Looking coop.
clap.gif
Mine is still In-Progress.
roll.png
End of April bought $700 in supplies...End of May bought another $600 in supplies. (I only get paid once per month.) DH and construction friend are doing it so at least I know it will be sturdy and last for many years. Some of my ideas and desires are being incorporated but some things DH just goes with what he want to do.
smack.gif
Example: I tried to design a separate coop/tractor for the bantums and DH changed it to a room off the main coop.I was about ready to go cut the poop doors myself (the ones to clean out under the roost) but the construction friend took his tools to a job so I didn't get the chance. Somehow, I still have to get a fence built...they are free ranging right now. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have them going into the neighbor's yard too.

CG
Yeah, the costs add up don't they? Makes me wonder now and then whether paying for a pre-made one would be worth it in the long run. I'm still working on my run and am having a heck of time with that due to the grade of the yard. Between the lumber and hardware cloth for that I'm probably at or in excess of the cost of the coop! We see Coyotes often even during the middle of the day cross behind our home- so I can't do the completely open free range thing with them unless they're "supervised" . The chickens are now like my kids!

Back
Top Bottom