Purina vs Blue Seal

I prefer the Evergreen "Home Fresh Extra Egg 16" product known as Blue Seal in some parts of the country. Both are part of Kent.

Why, excellent eggs and no problems...a complete feed.

ETA: Layena is also a "complete" feed. Never heard a bad word about Kent Products and the results....so I am with them at egg time. I do use the Purina Starter Grower until egg laying starts, then I switch over.

Last edited:
Im fairly new to this but i've only used a gamebird feed and right now using purina and have not tried anything else really. The gamebird feed got me 11 eggs out of my oeg bantam hen and she hatched 10 out of 11 herself and all her chicks are alive and well and very healthy looking. Right now im feeding purina flockraiser and it is giving me good results also. Have not tried kent or blue seal, i dont even know if they have those products here in california.

I was feeding Purina Layena , but decided to switch when my eggs shells were bumpy and had large dark circles on the ends. Looking pretty bad. Since I have switched to Blue Seal Egg Extra I have had smooth , strong shells, and nice clean looking eggs without the blemishes. I like the size of the crumbles too. They are a little larger , but not large like a pellet. Blue Seal has 50lb bags instead of 40lbs. , so when price comparing keep that in mind. I would never go back to Purina.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I feel pretty good about feeding the Blue Seal. I am just starting to feed layer. They have been on starter food up until now.

Started egg hatched chicks on BlueSeal Home Fresh Starter Medicated Meal, followed by Home Fresh Extra Egg Crumbles. Dog and cat also served Blue Seal products. As are the wild birds. Kio have their own non- Blue Seal feed. Have been please with the consistent quality, ingredients and price. I support my local Farm Store and this brand is always in stock. Many comparable options...just read the label and find one you are comfortable with. Chickens are healthy and robust. Purina has supports as well. Both brands should provide a solid nutritional base.

Back
Top Bottom