Puring Chicken

HennaB

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2023
NSW Australia
We just got 5 day old Light Sussex chics and decided to use our Silkie as a surrogate mum. She had been broady for aabout 2.5 weeks. It seems to be a success but what we have found is that she is purring a lot of the time - they are all inside at the moment as it is still cool at night. Chickens certainly are amazing always showing another side to their personalities. Did some research on this topic and hopefully it means that she is totally content to be raising these new chics.
PXL_20231112_043759465[1].jpg

Chickens make all sorts of sounds.
They: Purr, Trill, Cluck, Bock, Growl, Roar(Hawk Alarm), Tidbit, Squawk, Scream, Crow, & Ba-gawk.

It's their secret language we are yet to fully understand, but most are known pretty well. I've also have chickens that make some other vocalizations I can't describe.

We just got 5 day old Light Sussex chics and decided to use our Silkie as a surrogate mum. She had been broady for aabout 2.5 weeks. It seems to be a success but what we have found is that she is purring a lot of the time - they are all inside at the moment as it is still cool at night. Chickens certainly are amazing always showing another side to their personalities. Did some research on this topic and hopefully it means that she is totally content to be raising these new chics.View attachment 3682718
They are so sweet. I think she is just happy that her "early hatch" is all healthy. Hurray for her. They look like they could be her chicks.

I have an unintentional house chicken who purrs. I have a house cat who rarely purrs. Usually, when Dottie begins her happy sound, the cat will yowl at her. Perhaps he thinks the chicken is mocking him for not purring?

Your picture of the hen and chicks made me smile this morning. Thanks for posting!

Yes! I have one hen that’s purring often too when she seems happy.
Great it worked out great with the broody.

Its great if the hen with the chicks can go out of the box now to explore and exercise. And imho its better to set the water / feed outside the nestbox to keep the bedding dry and more clean.

I have an unintentional house chicken who purrs. I have a house cat who rarely purrs. Usually, when Dottie begins her happy sound, the cat will yowl at her. Perhaps he thinks the chicken is mocking him for not purring?

Your picture of the hen and chicks made me smile this morning. Thanks for posting!
Your story made me laugh. I kept thinking that the cat yowling while the chicken purrs, is because your cat thinks the chicken is getting affection and purring like a cat would. And the cat is jealous because you are not ignoring the chicken and giving attention to your cat. :lau :hugs

Yes! I have one hen that’s purring often too when she seems happy.
Great it worked out great with the broody.

Its great if the hen with the chicks can go out of the box now to explore and exercise. And imho its better to set the water / feed outside the nestbox to keep the bedding dry and more clean.
They will be going out tomorrow into our little coup that we made for hens with chics - need to do some suffling of hens as one is broody in there at the moment. We wanted to keep an eye on the chics and the adopted mother until they got used to each other. It was a delight to see the mothering instinct of the silkie hen come to the fore - only about an hour before they all settled down - and the instinct of the chics even thought they had been hatched in an incubater from where we purchased them. Mother nature is truly amazing.

Back
Top Bottom