Purple Comb

Potterygal27

In the Brooder
Nov 17, 2022
Hello! One of our Buff Orpingtons Mabel (24 weeks) comb turned light purple on the tip today. I read that this could be due to lack of oxygen or heart attack. What can I do to help?!

She’s been tested for respiratory infections and everything is negative. I do worry that she could be overweight. She is head hen and tends to hog the feeder. She is also much bigger than all the other girls.

She’s one of my favorites and I want to make sure she stays healthy! Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 1CDA83D6-3713-4D58-AAAE-0C07B62DEB78.jpeg
    1CDA83D6-3713-4D58-AAAE-0C07B62DEB78.jpeg
    403.6 KB · Views: 35
It can be common if the color darkening is just at the tips and toward the back of the comb in some birds, especially the ones with larger combs. Temperature and excitement can cause the change. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. When a bird is truly suffering a lack of oxygen in the blood, the whole comb would turn blue or dark.

It can be common if the color darkening is just at the tips and toward the back of the comb in some birds, especially the ones with larger combs. Temperature and excitement can cause the change. Make sure that she is drinking plenty of water. When a bird is truly suffering a lack of oxygen in the blood, the whole comb would turn blue or dark.
Okay thank you so much! Do you think I should be worried about overeating being an issue?

What are you feeding her? I would limit any treats. Being fat or overweight can lead to reproductive problems and fatty liver disease, so I would not give any extras.

What are you feeding her? I would limit any treats. Being fat or overweight can lead to reproductive problems and fatty liver disease, so I would not give any extras.
I currently feed New Country Organics classic layer crumble recently switched from purina starter and only give black soldier fly worm grubs. Occasionally a hard boiled egg here and there.

Back
Top Bottom