1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Purple sack like thing on bottom of hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peachesbabychick, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone,

Today I noticed that my English Orpington hen appears to have a purple/blue (looks bruised in color) sack/growth like thing on her bottom, just below her vent. It is very soft and squishy, about the size of a hacky sack. Being English, she is very big and heavy, low to the ground, Her vent is clear, but around her bottom is a bit dirty as it sticks to her feathers. She seems to be laying fine and acting completely normal. I have no idea what this could be! I hope it's not to serious, if anyone has any help or advice that would be wonderful, I'm very worried about her!

Thankyou

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Bumblefoot?

3. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how bumblefoot would be on her bottom.....
    Can you post a photo?
    That would make it much easier to determine.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Your right, I misread

5. zteagirl71

zteagirl71 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    I found a thread on BYC dating 8/28/12 posted by mcmommy titled "Dark purple growth around vent and sticky butt" this hen also had white scaly feet and legs. A reply from J-Sanders said that the hen was suffering from a mite infection, and perhaps another infection. I found another thread on BYC posted on 8/8/09 by noityoulover titled "my seven week old has a red-ish purple sac under her vent. condition/cure?" this person's chickens had a recent bought with cocci but were treated and cured. I still don't know what this is for sure, and I can't find anything on any search engine, so short of calling a vet, I have no answer. But it does seem to accompany some sort of infection, sickness, or pest. Sorry I couldn't be of more help or reassurance, [​IMG] maybe you can contact these people and see what they have learned since then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by