Purposeful Ducks? (mixed breeds)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bleenie, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Okay, so here's the deal....

I have my Muscovies just for pets all 30-something of the little boogers, lol. My friend has mixed breed ducks and as soon as they hatch babies, she has been giving me all of the ducklings right away because of crow problems. I raise them for her and because she does need some females she will get some girls back when theyre older. I currently have a batch of 7 plus a Khaki girl someone gave me for free & i also just recently picked up 8 more new babies from her...

I am getting kind of attached to them! and now i am really considering keeping some. I had other ducks before but because of predator problems i rehomed them. I believe i have that predator issue resolved now so that it is safe for them to be here. I didn't have my previous ducks long enough for them to start laying or anything.

I want to know why you guys keep ducks/mixed breeds. Obviously these would also be pets too but they would need to help pay for their feed too. I could sell eggs, maybe ducklings too during certain times of the year. Do you ever make any profit off egg/duckling sales? or just break even or neither?

I know entertainment wise they're worth it, but like i said, i already have my Muscovies and thankfully they're good forragers!! [​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I couldn't sell mixed breed ducklings easily so I went to 1 breed only. Having trouble selling eating eggs, but sold hatching eggs like mad during spring.

3. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My flock is 90% mutts.

My runner x magpies have the great egg laying quality as well as great brooding quality of the runner and magpie. I sell ducklings like there is no tomorrow around here because people dont care about breed and just want something for their ponds or kids.

4. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    I personally dont like the idea of mix breeding ducks. There is really no reason too... I have had a few mix ducklings by accident and have had to give them away. You might be able to sell eggs but I dont know about ducklings. I say you would lose out.... Atleast you would where I live... alot of people want nice birds that are pure.

JMO
    Ryan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: