"pushing" meat quail

Quote:
I spend 4 hours processing deer (I really hate deer fat) & I only get 50# of meat out of them. 20# an hour isn't bad. Plus I bet you'll be faster next time.

Quote:
I get that when I cull hens too I think theres a small membrane of the hens internal organs over the yolk until it's processed out into the egg making area
smile.png

and CARS you're welcome that's what it's there for is to help!
big_smile.png
So im glad I did!!!! You'lll think it's worth it when you eat them
droolin.gif

Quote:
I spend 4 hours processing deer (I really hate deer fat) & I only get 50# of meat out of them. 20# an hour isn't bad. Plus I bet you'll be faster next time.

Well, for 20 birds in the bags my scale now shows a tad less than 5lbs.
Like I said in my edited post, I think my scale is really screwed up because they just feel heavier than they are
big_smile.png

I need to find a accurate scale. Anyone have a used one they want to part with????

I use those walmart food scales....

I thnk yours is wrong too unless you have monster quails

cuz 12 oz dressed is pretty heavy!!! AND if 12 oz dressed is correct then i'd say the light deprivation worked.

I have quail that are 13 oz live.....i do not expect that with tehm dressed lol!

Quote:
Look at it this way. I have a goal for the next batch
wink.png

If I am averaging 4oz a bird though............ is quail worth it???
These are suppose to be Texas A&M's. The biggest white meat bird engineered.

I really need a good scale asap! Otherwise... I am speculating.

I would say the scale isn't off by much. Those look 4-6oz.

ETA: I don't know if they are worth it or not but Monarc has me convened that they are. I let you know when I process some. I will put more time in something that I raise or harvest & process myself because it is better meat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom