Pushing pine shavings into run?

Kaitie09

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2009
South Central, PA
I'm going to be doing a deep clean/new paint job in the coop next week, and I am looking for the easiest way to get rid of the shavings. Normally, I shovel it into a wheelbarrow, and then take it to the compost pile. However, the pile had been moved and I can't get to it without the tractor. I am not allowed to use the tractor anymore (and unfortunate tipping accident) and I will be alone that day.

My question is, can I just sweep all the shavings out to the run? We do this with grass clippings the chickens get rid of it by the end of the day. If I do this, how long will it take for the shavings to go away?

Shavings in the run will last a very long time. Much longer than composting. See if you can get someone to drive the tractor to the compost pile for you.

I spread old shavings around the run, but mostly to help keep it from getting muddy when it rains. It does stay there for a long time, which I don't mind. The shavings are better than being ankle deep in mud
sickbyc.gif

This is just my opinion, but saw dust works so much better than shavings. I use it in all my coops, in the pens that have plywood bottoms and all over the yard where my chickens play. It keeps down dust and mud & keeps my feather footed birds cleaner.

Chicken.Lytle :

Start a new compost pile?

X2 or just leave it in a pile for the the person that can drive the tractor and just move it later.​

Quote:
X2 or just leave it in a pile for the the person that can drive the tractor and just move it later.

lol I would get kicked out of the house if I made a pile in the newly landscaped yard. I think I'll just push it into the run, The run is already on a steep hill, so it will all get pushed down to the far end eventually, and the run does get really muddy when it rains, so it could help.

I live where it snows in the winter, and I have a yard that gets really mucky when the snow melts. I use straw, or cheap hay in the hen house, and in the yard. My chickens love it! They pick at it and get the oat kernals, and alfalfa. It keeps my yard from getting really gross, and smelly, however in the spring after all the snow melts I shovel it all up,a and put down fresh. You might try thes, as I know some people donot like wood shavings. I have read many bad things about it, too hard, chickens eat it and get it bound up, and can die. So, I have never used it, except for the wood pellets that are made for chicks. Those bread down when they get wet, and the chicks don't eat them.
Just FYI, hope it helps, and good luck getting some help!
Deb:)

Back
Top Bottom