Put 5 eggs under broody successfully!

I have several brooders that I use in the house so that the cats cant get the chicks. I also have several rabbit cages that when I get several broodies I can put them in there with thier eggs. This way when the chicks hatch they are safe until the eggs are all done hatching. My cats will run at the broody and she will get all upset and the chicks will scatter and that is when the cats will grab a chick. They leave all of the adult birds alone but just cant resist the fuzz balls. I have 2 large metal water tanks in my front porch that I put the chicks into. Then when they get to old for that I have several pens in our dog kennel that I put the juvinals in. Our dog kennel is a large building with 7 indoor/outdoor runs and 3 other indoor kennels. I have 6 dogs in 5 of the indoor/outdoor kennels and the rest of them have chicks and ducks in them.. My hubby gave up telling me not to bring them in a long time ago. I think he allows the chicks because that keeps the kids from letting the cats into the house. He really doesnt like cats much but is a VERY TOLERANT MAN!!!LOL We are having alpacas delivered sometime in the next couple weeks. My sister and I are going to raise them. Our hubbies just go along with it. Jenn

Wow! Sounds like you have plenty of accomodations! I have a coop with a run. In my coop is a cat carrier, a dog crate, and isolation pen, and a shoe box nest! LOL! My DH started it all when he brought Brandy home from the park! LOL! He will NOT provide any more extra funds for the chickens, so I am trying to budget the money he gives me to run the household to allow for some pens. I'd really love a separate coop for my bantams.....maybe one day! My DH is pretty tolerant, too. I find it funny that he seems to love to have all the church folks inquiring about the chickens, but he doesn't discuss them much with me at home. LOL! I think he knows I would have many more if I had proper accomodations for them. I'm hoping jmhappycowboy will help me with some pens.
smile.png
I am so impressed with his newly built bantam pens! Many of his birds are housed in above ground cages outside. He just covers them with a tarp in bad weather. Since a separate coop is cost prohibitive right now, I'm thinking pens will be my next project.

Back
Top Bottom