Put my first chicken down :(

Yes, heart failure will cause the abdomen to fill with fluid. I am so sorry. :hugs

I lost a bird to heart failure last year. I could hear her heart valves clicking a few months before her heart gave out. (you can put your ear over their back where the neck meets. The lungs are beneath this area, heart beneath the lungs.)

I am an lvn and when I saw her I thought to myself she is presenting like a patient with congested heart failure. I will get more chicvs this spring and I will not go back to the local breeder. Vet said sometimes the people breed the chicks without knowing how to mix breeds and the ChicKS have heart problems peritonitis egg binding more frequently etc
But I want buff orpingtons I have four salon faverolles and I thin adding a few more orpingtons would make a nice flock

It always helps to know where your chicks come from and who is breeding them. So many issues are genetic...in other words, momma had a problem or did the roo. And these genetic issues get passed down from parents to offspring over and over.

Good luck with your spring chicks! Things do happen with chickens, it can never be prevented completely. But most chickens have the potential to live a good long life with good care.

Back
Top Bottom