Put them in during freezing rain??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Jennyhaschicks, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    There is freezing rain here in Maine today. Should I put them in their house or will they be fine outside? My mind tells me they are fine but my heart is telling me to put them in.
    Help pretty please.

2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I allow mine shelter if they want it. If they don't then they sit outside...they are wearing all down after all [​IMG] they do have sense to go in when they need to.

3. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Mine have their house door open all day when they are out. I have yet to see them go in during the day.. Well actually they just stick their head in there to eat then scamper back outside. Must be nice to be wearing that down huh?

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I think you should offer them some kind of shelter from rain and wind. It doesn't have to be anything fancy. They probably won't use it very much, but at least they'd have the possibility.

I always run out to check on my goose when I hear heavy rain. Usually he'll just stand right out in the middle of it, looking up as if to figure out what is happening, shrugging off the water once in a while.
    He's fine; I'm hyperventilating from anxiety. [​IMG]
    Even during a hailstorm he was standing right outside of the covered deck looking at the hails. He apparently decided they were not delicious treats thrown at him, then continued weeding.

5. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I'm in Maine too, and so far mine have been fine. They have access to their house during the day and can go where they wish in their pen. They do get locked up at night, though.

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Ahhh, did you get the snow today? My gander wasn't happy. He came out of his house and took one step and then tried to get as much air as he could! He straight up and then pretty much straight down. Poor guy. [​IMG] Mine get locked up at night. They are too precious to risk something happening to them.

7. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    We didn't get any snow today, but we did get some ice/snow/rain yesterday. When we get a lot of snow, and its super cold and windy, I probably will leave them in their house, but its not necessary yet, either. After all, they are waterfowl and duck/goose down are used in some winter coats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by