puting new birds with older group

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CountryKen, Dec 10, 2010.

1. CountryKen

CountryKen New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    RainbowValley
    I have two age groups now, both are layers but one group is 8weeks and the other is a year and one month, at what point do you think they can be together in one run and coup.
    thanks

2. chick-a-bone2

chick-a-bone2 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2009
    What breed? I usually wait until the younger birds are at least 3/4 the size of the older ones before mixing. Expect some pecking and bullying for a few weeks, and keep an eye out for bad wounds, as these become targets for more pecking.

3. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My method is "wait until you're sick of dealing with two separate flocks and pitch 'em together."

OK, I'm being snarky. I moved my young ones outside to a "look but don't touch" area at 10 weeks to get them all acquainted -- you could do that right now. Then, as I said, I got tired of separate maintenance, so about 3 weeks later I let everybody out together. I had to pull out a couple of adult bullies for about a week (one of which I later put in the freezer because she just wouldn't lay off) and the two young wyandottes did lose their tailfeathers at one point (nothing gobs of vicks vapo rub couldn't fix), but now they're all happy together.

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I like that option Uzuri!

I had 5 young ones - 2 roos and 3 hens that I had for awhile - then I purchased 2 older hens. I had a cage set out so they could be safe and get to know each other - had plans on being out there to make sure there were no issues - they mostly just chattered all day that day - thru the fence - when I opened the door to put water and food in the smaller cage - the 2 older ones just walked out and started snacking on some bread on the ground - the younger ones moved over and let them join the group. The older ones even taught my younger ones how to use a roost - so they stopped sleeping on the door ledge

I just bought some young ones that I am going to integrate by putting on the roosts tonight - after the others are down for the night - then go out early with a lot of treats - my girls are such pigs they will not even notice someone else is there until they are done eating... I will have the younger newbies in an enclosed are for awhile since i will be gone - but I think I'll just go out there and watch for awhile. Who knows - maybe I'll find out by watching them how many of the new chicks are roos since I am still not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by