puting young pullets in with older birds

kens147

Chirping
11 Years
Sep 17, 2009
ohio
i have 8 hens and 1 rooster that a less than a year old the hens are laying. i have 15 pullets that are 12weeks old. when the best time to put them together

Same thing I put my 34 /8 week olds in with my year olds durning the day so they did not know what coop to go to but after 2 nights of scoping them up and putting them in the coop On day 3 they were all going into there new big coop. not to much fighting going on at all:lol:

How big of a space are they going into? I just put 20 approximately 8-10 week olds (mostly pullets, a few cockerels) in with my big flock....big flock consists of approximately 20-30 chickens/roosters.....had no major problems, but they spend all day in a half acre yard so plenty of space to get away from each other, and had spent two weeks "seeing each other" through the fence.

If you have a big enough space, I would go ahead and mix them. You have more "kids" than "adults" so the picking and pecking will be well spread out.

so if one of your hens broods the eggs till hatching do you then remove them to a brooder box then re engage them into the flock or simply let them stay in the flock from day one?

ours are a couple of weeks old,..I lose track, maybe 5 or 6 weeks. Anyhow Mom decided yesterday she has no use for them, she went back with the other chickens. So they spent the night in the brooder. Today my husband built a lower perch for them in with the hens and I went and checked on them a half an hour ago,..3 were on the lower perch hubby built , 1 was on the low hen jump up and one more a perch higher and the last was up there sitting with my crazy red hens. I will go out early in the morning the keep bored hens from messing with them, but I felt like if the mom left them best time to move them on from the brooder to the hen house was now. If all is well I will let you know,..but I am not too worried, my husband has really shown me how nuerotic I am, I worry about things that are a waste of time,..if things work great, if not go back a step. So tommorow we see if it works,..if not brooder back to the goat house.

My young ones have to be at least 16 weeks old before I introduce them to the big girls... and I usually wait until they are 20 weeks. I always put them in at night.

Back
Top Bottom