Putting 6 week olds out in coop for first time! Is this okay?

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
We are planning to put our three 6 week old chicks out in their chicken tractor this weekend for the first time. They are completely feathered out, and our temperatures here have been in the 50's at night, with day time temps ranging from 65-72 degrees. Is this okay? They are getting way too big for their brooder so I do not think we can keep them in there after this weekend, without buying some kind of bigger enclosure. Will they be okay outside now? We have a chicken tractor, so we were thinking of just keeping them in the top portion which is completely enclosed with no windows for at least the first few days, since it would be warmer then the lower pen area that just has wire fencing around it.

Here is their new home:

55617_chicken_tractor.jpg

Those te,ps you are having sound perfectly fine for your 6-week old chicks, since they're completely feathered out, and your home for them is totally enclosed. They should be fine.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

clap.gif
I love that tractor you have pictured! Nice choice for a home!
celebrate.gif

Quote:
I agree. They'll be fine in the upper portion at night and okay in both during the daytime.

I tend to be overly cautious, but here's what I'd do. I'd put them out early in the morning and see how they handle the lower temp; I'm guessing 50's are much lower than they're used to inside, right? I'd keep checking on them frequently in the early morning when it's cooler, and if they're fine, then I'd know they'd probably be fine at night when the temperatures dip again.

If they have trouble handling the lower temps at first, you could acclimate them more gradually. I had my artificially brooded chicks outdoors during the day but brought them indoors at night for quite a few weeks until it stayed pretty warm here at night.

We put ours out much younger then that and they did fine. How many do you have? They produce a lot of heat and can keep each other warm if there are enough of them, other wise you can put a light on them at night for extra warmth. ....Like your coop, good job!
big_smile.png

My 6- 6week olds have been out in their coop since Monday, with similar temps and conditions. They are doing beautifully, and are so happy!
We put them out because thier brooder was getting way too small, and I was afraid they might become agressive towards each other if they had to live in such close quarters for any longer. (they didn't, and seem to be a really close little family, from being together in such a small space).
Try not to worry about them, tho I know you will. I did. So, here is a hug in advance, for when the house is quiet and peep-free for the night.

Bright Blessings

Back
Top Bottom