Putting a chicken back in the flock

Countrylife19

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
I had a chicken who was sick was in the house for a while. She is doing better. She was in a large dog cage inside the coop for about a week where the other chickens could see her but not touch her. Yesterday I let them all out for their weekly free range in the yard. I tried to incorporate Belle back into the flock but one of them pecked her hard enough to bleed a little so I put her back on her own..I tried again tonight letting her out in the coop and it was ok for a minute then they chased her. I am frustrated. I don't want to traumatize her but I also don't know what else to do. I've put chickens back into the flock before after being sick but never had them behave like this..I don't know what to do..

One of the best methods I've seen in introducing a hen to a flock is you sneak it in on the perches after it's dark. How you've already tried putting her back in and there's trouble, I would keep her separated and put in one or two hens from the bottom of the pecking order with her. That way, when you try again, she's not going in alone, thus causing the pecking order to be spread out. After that, I would allow two weeks for the pecking order to be reestablished.

Back
Top Bottom