Putting brooder light on timer?

P-Funk

Songster
9 Years
Feb 20, 2011
Franktown
The babies are 2 weeks old today and the brooder temp has been reduced to 85. They're in the laundry room and don't know the difference between night and day. Not to mention the the light shines thru the windows into the rest of the house 24/7. This time of year it rarely gets below 75 in the house. Would it be wrong to put a timer on the light? Maybe start with an hour and increase 'night time' gradually?

I did that with the last batch of chicks I brooded, as they were outdoors, and nights were a little cool but days hot. For the first few weeks, temperature is more important than amount of light, as long as they get some light. They will adjust to natural light soon enough. Once they have a good amount of feathers, if it is warm where you are (Franktown doesn't tell most of us) they will do fine without added light (heat.) If the brooder is large enough, they will tell you by moving under or away from the heat. I turned mine off around 4 weeks because they were sleeping several feet away from the light, as far as they could get.

I have kept all my brooders in the house. I used both timers and a lamp dimmer to adjust the temp and amount of light. Much easier than moving the lamp or changing the bulb every time it needs a tweak.

Back
Top Bottom