putting chickens to bed

upstateNYandy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
My coop is in a 18 X 18 fenced inclosure and I find myself and my wife chasing our chicks around every night trying to get them to go into the coop. Is there an easy way???? We have 3 white rocks, 3 partridge rocks & 2 BB turkeys. The turks are easy, whites fairly easy, the partridge rocks will be dinner sooner than later if they keep it up.

What time do you try to "round them up?" It could be that you are doing it too early. Also if they are new the coop, you may want to leave them in for a week or so and let them get used to that being "home" and then try to let them out.

Have you tried giving them treats to lure them in. I started to shake a dog/cat treat can and call them when I head to the coop to get their attention. I started to bring down dinner scrapes and lure them in with that. Now if they hear the can or me calling they come running inside for treats.

My chickens will follow me anywhere for Saltines, a trick I learned from my neighbor. I put the crackers in a plastic bag, crush them, then rustle the bag. They follow me right to the henhouse, which is encircled by a small secondary fence. (During the day the chickens run around a large fenced area with the sheep.) Once inside the secondary fencing, there's not much for the to do but eat the Saltines, then head inside to bed.

thanks all. the saltines work for some of them. i'll try rounding them up around sunset or just after. we've been doing it a little earlier because of the rainy weather(wife is worried they'll catch cold)they can go under the coop to stay dry. it's almost 3 feet off the ground.

if you chicks are still fairly young and new to the coop, a small red light bulb will entice them into the coop-it reminds them of the heat lamp in the brooder I guess. It also gives them light to see to get settled. Once they are shut in, unplug the light. I have a light in one coop, and when I put it in I screwed the hook into the ceiling and ran the plug outside so I could unplug it when it was sleep time.

Back
Top Bottom