1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting chicks in coop with hens and rooster

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tessandtherest, Oct 30, 2013.

1. tessandtherest

tessandtherest New Egg

Oct 10, 2013
    I have 2 chicks that are about 1 1/2 mos. old, can i put them in the coop with my 4 hens and rooster Also, the weather is cool here, , will the chicks stay under the heat lamp to keep warm, if i can put them in the coop?

2. kmlnll

kmlnll Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2013
    If they are getting close to the same size you can out them in. If they are considerably smaller, I would put them in a dog crate or something like that in the coop. Some way they can be with everyone, but are protected. If you do that and they are in the coop you wouldn't need to worry about the temp.

3. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    I don't think I would unless they have already spent time togather... I have 19 chicks that are 5 weeks old, they are in the same area as the 13 hens and rooster but they are seperated by chicken wire. at this point until I can spend time out there I wont even allow them to free range togather. Seems I heard somewhere not to introduce motherless chicks to the flock until they quit chirping, might be wrong tho...

4. Janet Pesaturo

Janet Pesaturo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    Bolton, MA, USA
    6 weeks is pretty young, so I would not attempt this unless they free range most of day, so young ones can keep their distance from big ones and gradually integrate. If they are confined, I would not mix them yet. If you do decide to mix them, whether they are confined or free-range, be prepared to scoop up young ones just in case. I don't confine young ones with old ones until young ones are about ready to lay, at which point they're about full grown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by