Putting chicks outside?

shadewolfo10

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Hi, I was just wondering if I could put my chicks outside!!

I live in Central Texas and it is in the 98s-100s during the day and between 75-80 at night!

I think all of the chicks will be fine, but I am still hesitant because I have one buff orpington which we got two weeks after all the other chicks, and is almost 3.5 weeks old!

Do you think it would be okay to leave them outside during night?

They should be fine. My brooder for my 3 week old chicks is only at 72 degrees. You're even warmer than that at night. They will be fine.

Ps heard a great idea to keep them cool during the day, put out frozen bottles of water! I am going to use my a/c water since water is at a premium here, but keep a set in the freezer at all times and just rotate :)

I'm jealous of your weather. It has been raining a lot in the northwest, but today was nice and hot by our standards - about your night temps
smile.png
At three weeks old they are still developing their feathers so make sure they do not have drafts that will hit them directly and you might want a heat lamp for some extra warmth.

No you don't it is miserable
he.gif
even the "drafts" here are not a problem, I would more call them blast of hot air, rather than a draft!!!!
lol.png

I put mine out at about the same age and our weather was quite a bit cooler; days 55-65, nights 35-40. I just couldn't take the dust any more in my bathroom. I set up two heat lamps on timers at slightly different heights with the higher one on during the day and the other coming on just before dark and turning off just after sunrise. Checked on them every few hours the first few nights and they were all happily snoozing away in a loose group. I still peek out every night to make sure I see that red light from the coop, but now I'm just being over protective as they are mostly feathered out and our weather is getting warmer.

I guess I agree with you. I do enjoy complaining about the rain when it is constantly ruining my plans and makes working on my house a pain but I would be worn out so fast in those hot temps. I'll try to appreciate it next time I'm soaked and cold
smile.png

They should be fine. You can always check on them a little later if your up. My youngest two chicks were pretty much feathered at 3.5 weeks old, so maybe yours are too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom