putting chicks to bed...im i crazy?

jruhle

Songster
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
I recently moved my chicks to a secure coop outside and every night I can hear them cheeping so I "put them to bed" by putting them in a box with a cover and they calm right down. Should I let them get used to being on their own? Am I crazy for wanting them to feel safe? They are babies after all. And I eat my chickens!

When it gets dark I lock mine in their coop, which sounds like the same thing you are doing. I don't even have to chase mine into the coop anymore they go in there o. Their Own and settle down and all I have to do is close the doors.

They are doing better now. They are so friendly if you let them out they follow you around and love to be snuggled with! They come running and jump into my arms. I had a bunch of people come over with their children for a Easter photo shoot with them, what fun!

I go check on them at night time and close the coop door. no automatic door yet ;-)
I put them on the roost at night to teach them. the very next night, ALL of my 7wk old chicks were on the roost! HA! fast learners.
with a previous batch I had to put them on the roost for over a week before they caught on!

Coop training your chickens will pay off in the long run as well. It will be easier to catch and care for chickens who are ill. And since everyone has their place in the coop, adding new members later will be easier if you use the coop schedule and training to your advantage. Best wishes for your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom